Friday, December 16, 2011

Lots of important stuff to think about my friend.

Twas the week before Christmas and all through the house, the Community was brewing making jealous even the mouse. That will be enough of that. Thanks for that vote of confidence. We have awakened ourselves and found out this fact: It is Friday, December 16, 2011. Today is the anniversary of the birth of my eldest brother, Jimmy Don. Today, it's hard to imagine, but had he lived, he would be celebrating his 69th birthday. He left this life back in 1962 before completing his 20th year. I remember how he tried to comfort and help mom after we lost dad in 1954. Jimmy was an eleven year old and he carried a huge burden as he tried to help shepherd our little pitiful flock. He grew into a most handsome young man and had started college but then we suddenly lost him and today we pause to thank God for the life He gave to him and we also just want to add our birthday wishes to our big brother.

This is an important next few days for us. Our daughter-in-law Mitzi celebrates her birthday, the 18th, this coming Sunday. Mitzi is married to our youngest son Rodney. They are the proud parents of Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady. I used the word devoted in my blog yesterday. Mitzi wears that word well. She epitomizes the devoted wife and mom. She is also a very devoted neighbor and friend to her large network of comrades. Her and her friends go way back. How about all the way back to grade school? I would say that is unique. One of the special things she and her long term friends are doing is to try and instill this same sense of connection in their children. I think that's pretty neat. We are so blessed to have her in our family and we thank God for her and wish her a wonderful birthday celebration.

Not finished yet. We also have our very first grandson's birthday this Sunday, the 18th. Jimmy Don Jr. will be 15. Jimmy Don Jr. will be 15? This young man has been a special treasure to our family since he made his appearance 15 years ago. As I sit here typing away it's hard to even describe his impact on our lives. We were with him from the beginning from when MiMi and I used to do the tag team on rocking him at night. It's not always been an easy journey and he's had plenty of challenges along the way. We see him as a remarkable young man with so much potential. He is thoughtful and at times can be a little on the quiet side. He is a gamer. I know most kids his age are gamers but some more than others. I think maybe he would tilt on the 'more' side. He is close to his brother and sisters. We are so very thankful for him and consider him to be a tremendous blessing. Happy Birthday to our Jimmy Jr and may God continue guide you and bless your life. Love, MiMi and Poppy.

I'm certainly not finished yet. This Sunday, the 18th, will also mark the 47th year of our sojourn together as husband and wife. And what a sojourn it has been! I started to say it seems like yesterday that I met her for the first time but that would not be correct. It wasn't yesterday. It was nearly 50 years ago and she was out at a nearby Church participating in an old fashioned singing school. I had tagged along for no good reason but God had a different plan in mind. All I can tell you is that when I saw her the lights in the Church dimmed. And, I saw a bright light. No. No. That's what happens when people are dying. Excuse me. I was captivated and and even more than that, I was captured. I didn't go there for that reason. She didn't go there for that reason. But all these years later our lives have been intertwined as we have faced the good times and those others too. We've been blessed. Her family. My family. We are blessed. Our offspring. Their offspring. Their offspring's offspring. We are blessed. More than anything else, we share a common faith in the God who brought us together and I pause to celebrate the wonderful woman He provided to me. May God bless the recognition of our 47th anniversary and may God be praised for His blessings on us. Okay. I know today's blog has been deeply personal. But, it is a reflection of what happened to be on my heart and mind, therefore, I leave you with a prayer that God will help us all to treasure those He has placed in our lives. Amen. See you next week, Lord willing.     ....More later.

PS: I almost forgot the most important thing. Here's my message to my wife: Baby you're the greatest!

No comments: