Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What goes "Oh, Oh, Oh?" Silly, it's Santa walking backwards!

Hello folks out there in the wonderful world of blogdom. Welcome once again to a little slice of my world on this Tuesday, December 13, 2011. Last Saturday afternoon when I delivered my wife to the big mall for her work the congestion was unbelievable. Just getting her to the front door was like playing dodge ball with all those cars darting in and out trying to grab a spot, leave a spot, or wait for a spot. When I finally let her out I then embarked on the next challenge. How do I get out of here? I decided to cut through the JC Penny parking lot because there was no way I could merge into the main lane without creating even more havoc. That was another huge mistake. The parking lot was filled up with folks doing that grab a spot, leave a spot, wait for a spot, and a few who acted like they were not sure exactly what they were doing. One particular driver was blocking up everything pretty good. I looked over and saw that white hair. Immediately I thought, "old people", they need to stay home. But as I repositioned myself to take another run at getting out of the gridlock I happened to catch a glimpse of someone in my mirror. That someone had white hair. That someone was me! It suddenly dawned on me that the fellow behind me watching me do my thing through the maze was no doubt telling his wife, "Look at that honey, old people, why don't they just stay at home?" It just goes to show you that if the walking cane fits, then use it!

Speaking of old folks, in our Sunday morning Bible study we are studying some older people from the birth narrative of our Savior. That's right. Old folks. The inspired historian Luke preserved for us the account from what we call Chapters 1-2 of his Gospel. In Chapter 1 we meet some senior citizens, Zechariah and Elizabeth, who, even though they were advanced in years, became major participants in the fulfillment of God's promise to send Messiah. This couple is described as being righteous and blameless in the eyes of God. He was a priest. She was also descended from the priestly tribe. They had no children. This was a huge burden for them because at that time it was thought to be a curse and shame. Obviously, they remained faithful despite having to bear this burden. They lived in the hill country north of Jerusalem. Twice a year Zechariah would go to Jerusalem to serve at the Temple along with others within his order. On the particular visit recorded by Luke the lot fell on Zechariah to burn incense before the altar of God. This was a huge honor and a priest could only do it once in his lifetime. Zechariah went in to perform his duty. That burned incense represented the praise of Jehovah God along with the prayers of His people. While he was there doing his duty, Gabriel, an angel of the Lord appeared and told him his prayer had been answered and that he and Elizabeth was to have a child. Hello? A child? This child was destined to be the 'Elijah of his day' for he would herald the coming of Messiah. Zechariah had some questions, asked for a sign, and was struck mute because of his lack of faith. He finished his duties, returned home and Elizabeth conceived and they brought forth their son. This baby grew into the great man of God, John the Baptist, and yes, God still has work for His own, regardless of their station in life, or their age. Go read about it. It is a marvelous account of God's choosing of people to bring honor and glory to His name. Amen.

That should be encouraging to those of us who hold up folks in the parking lot and who proudly wear the white hair. It shows that God is not through with us and we are His servants as long as we are here in this life. The Bible tells us that there will come a time in our lives when work will cease and we will go on to our reward, therefore, we are to position ourselves to be used of God. Far too many of our seniors have bought into the world's template that wants to limit our potential and contribution. I've even heard some older saints express the opinion that they had served when they were younger and now it is time for the younger ones to do their part. But, what if there is no retirement plan for being a servant of the Living God? What if the final plan is for God's very own to be promoted into their heavenly home? I think that is an absolute fact for both of these questions. Yes. Many of us have ailments and even limitations that we may not have had when we were younger. But that doesn't mean we are out of the running to do what we can, if we would but make ourselves available and be sensitive when He calls us to an opportunity. We are blessed in our local fellowship to have a number of senior saints that contribute greatly to the welfare of the body. My mom who is 87 still prepares meals for shut ins and we know of many others who do what they can do for the cause of Christ. Zechariah and Elizabeth had chosen God and dedicated themselves to serving Him before He called them to be the parents of John the Baptist. Yes, I know I am the man I saw in that mirror. Yes, I know the hair that is left is white. However, I also know that God can give me, you, or anyone the strength needed to get up and do His bidding. That's my sermonette for today and it may just end up doing me some good. Have a great day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: