Thursday, December 1, 2011

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." ~Charles Dickens

Made it to Thursday, December 1, 2011. Barely. Joking only, but I have been dragging this week from some allergies, cold like symptoms, or stuff of unknown origin. I must confess that I do not like to be reminded of my own frailties. I am aware of them. I observe them at work in others and I am sympathetic to any and all who deal with that which is common to humanity, but as for experiencing it myself, I'm just not too much into that. I'm not sure where I picked it up because it doesn't seem like the same type of congestion our Alexander Benjamin had to deal with last week. His was accompanied by a really deep and ugly cough. It may have been one of those little ones I handled at the Santa show but I believe I was already feeling the first waves before I showed up for that program. At any rate, I have been on a blistering attack with over the counter medicines and I do believe I am better. My mom thinks I say that regardless but as the Bible tells us, "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." What's that you say? That Proverb is talking about the spiritual orientation of the thoughts and intentions of the heart? Well, okay, then. I am some better and I am thankful. My blood numbers have been a little elevated but I believe my system has been a little confused by all the foreign visitors who have showed up over the last several days. I know what you are thinking. If I've had all of this to say about a case of the sniffles, let's all hope and pray I don't get an operation anytime soon. It's a joke. You can laugh. In fact, I am laughing too. It does remind us all to thank God for every day that we are able to get up and go. Amen.

Any day, especially on a cool day, like the ones we have been experiencing this week, that you can sit and sip a cup of Community, enjoying every drop, while banging out some keystrokes to send to some folks you care about, well, that's a day to be grateful for, my friend. And, I am. Not everyone can say the same. Another big airline has declared bankruptcy and most experts believe the employees and retirees will be the ones who suffer the most. This week the news sources are remembering that ten years ago we had the collapse of Enron which dramatically altered the lives of thousands. I listened to some of the interviews of folks that lost their life's savings when Enron imploded and their stories are gut wrenching. It's obvious the younger employees were better fitted to restart their careers at a new place but many of those close to retirement saw their hopes and dreams evaporate over night. I feel for them. The commentators also say the economic problem we are now facing makes Enron seem like only one tiny drop in a huge bucket. This means that many of our fellow citizens are facing Christmas without much, if any, confidence and hope regarding their ability to survive. We all should be aware and concerned about them and their plight. First and foremost, while many may not see it this way, people need the Lord, period, end of story. They do folks because He is our only hope in the good times and the bad. Secondly, folks need to know that others do care. We may not be able to do much but we should do what we can to help. Some time ago I had told my mom about an older gentleman that I know who is struggling with health issues and in trying to help raise some of their grandchildren. On Thanksgiving Day my mom slipped me some money and asked that I give it to that man. She doesn't know him. But, he and his family had been on her heart, therefore, she felt led to reach out. When I gave that to him, he was dumbfounded, he teared up, and hugged me. Thank God for any and all who feel led to reach out to others and thank God for my mom who has set a good example for us all. Amen. (My mom would never ever have me to say anything about this but she is a giving person and we all can learn from her example.)

Life in this old world can be challenging. Just get up every day and you will experience it. We should never take for granted the things God has provided to us that allow us to function in this world. I'm even thankful for being thankful and especially that my expectations, over time, are not nearly as focused on materialism as they may have been earlier in my life. Not nearly. I didn't say zero because we all still have some things we would like to do, places we would like to go, and experiences we desire to have. However, age is a wonderful counterbalance in helping us to not only take stock but also to weigh the value of our interests. We are reminded that while folks may seek to have it all, the Bible is clear that one's soul and the relationship with God will be the only thing that counts in eternity future.To know Him is the purpose of life. Having that connection means He may well move on our heart. I heard a testimony recently of someone who had to get up and leave the service in progress of his local fellowship because God moved on his heart to go and check on someone. That person he visited needed someone to care. God sent that man to do just that. See what I mean? If God speaks to us about someone He wants us to help we should do our best to respond. This is His way of accomplishing His purpose among His people. I will be the first to admit that I've not always responded when God has moved on my heart. It's easy for us to think about all that we have on our plates, but God always has a reason for us as well as the person in need. A good reminder for us all and especially for yours truly. Have a great Thursday and may God bless. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: