Monday, December 13, 2010

Welcome to my un-reality show!

Hello out there in the Shoppers Gone Wild War Zone. How in the world are you doing anyway on this Monday December 13, 2010? The former governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin, went hunting recently for caribou and her hunting excursion was filmed and shown on her reality TV show. I didn't see it but it sounds like she had to take multiple shots and required quite a bit of assistance along with the patience of the target animal before she finally killed a big one. Doesn't sound like much of a big deal to me, except perhaps her widely reported hunting skills may not be all that great. However, the animal rights folks are going berserk as well as all of her legions of liberal haters. They are calling her every name in the book from hateful killer to a blood thirsty masochist. Most of them may also be vegetarians but for most folks, animal protein does constitute a part of our daily diet and typically there's only one way to turn the animal into an edible meal. Get my drift? One famous Hollywood producer likened her killing show to be the same as watching a real murder on the screen. Time out already. Give me a break! These same folks have no reservations about snuffing out the life of an unborn child, the crowning achievement of God's creation, but they will go to the mat every time for something as ridiculous as this. I learned early on as a kid that while I might not enjoy all that happens at the slaughter house, I sure do enjoy those sausage links, bacon, and ham. No. I don't intend to go online and watch the show. I checked out one of the early ones and found that while the Alaska landscapes take your breath away, so does the mediocrity of the Palin family escapades. Just wanted to let you know that I am still paying attention  because according to Yogi you can really observe a lot when you are watching.

While I am enjoying immensely the Santa game, I really am looking forward to a complete make over, Lord willing, as early as December 27. The low maintenance hair style and beard will be traded in for a more traditional look. My wife now has her own personal Mrs. Claus outfit. She has gone forth and back on whether to do it but the other evening some folks asked for a photo of their children with her as Mrs. Claus and I suppose that sealed the deal. That was even before she had her outfit. Who knows? This might be something we can come out of hibernation for each year, after we retire, if retirement continues to be an option in Obamaland. I just threw that in so you red state people will stay tuned. While I've never really ever figured out what I want to be when I grow up, I can tell you that Santa was for the most part, not even in the running. I have received many wonderful compliments in my representation of Santa. Many have been about how I look like the real deal. I'm glad they see it that way and not because I love the accolades. Here's my way of seeing it. If you set out to do something and you give it your best, it's always fulfilling when the feedback matches your goals and ambitions. I work very hard to be the best Santa that I can be and I am thankful and pleased that others notice. This is how I have tried to pursue other challenges in my life. My role as a teacher of God's Word. My work as an employee. Sadly, I didn't devote that same attention to being the best dad when my boys were younger but I've done what I can to make up for that. Now my wife would tell you that she would like to see a little more passion in my approach to helping out around the house, but, that my friend, is a story that will have to keep for another day.

I was thinking the other day how blessed I am to have my mom and dad still here to help keep me straight. I should say still here to try to help keep me straight. Mom, at 86, is still mothering her wayward son. She tells me all the time to slow down, get some rest, take better care of myself, relax, and quit trying to do so many different things. I love her caring like she does.  Dad, he has been keeping me stocked up on sugar free energy drinks. Once he learned I drink them occasionally to help keep me alert, he has been bringing me some from time to time. They care and I love them for it. Last week when I was ailing just a hair she suggested I consider staying home if I didn't feel better. I told her that was not likely to happen and she said, "Well, Mr. Tough Guy just go ahead and show up then." It's always good for a laugh and since I talk to her every day I am glad to let everyone know that she and dad are God's favor on us children. We don't deserve it anymore than anyone else but we are so very thankful for them and their continuing contributions to us all. I have that once every six months interview coming up on Wednesday with my doctor. That's usually also always good for a few laughs although being diabetic is nothing to joke about. I used to be a Christmas candy aficionado and could hardly wait for my grandmother's, my mom's, my mother-in-law's, and my wife's wonderful confectioneries that thrill the taste buds and make the season special. I will most likely still nibble a sample here and there but please don't send me any recipes for sugar free alternatives. I'll just go along with the late Ray Charles and be confined to "live in memory of the lonesome times." (The song: I Can't Stop Loving You) See you next time and try to go out there and have a very rewarding day! Amen.            ......More later.

No comments: