Thursday, December 2, 2010

I suppose celebrating a three tenths of one percent increase is better than having to deal with a minus!

It is the season to be jolly and all of that along with a partridge in a pear tree on this Thursday, December 2, 2010. Some 210 million folks showed up at the black Friday sales event. That's 17 million more than last year. On average each shopper spent $365.00 which is $22.00 more than last year. And, we are just getting started. I am not unhappy to report that I was a part of the 99 million folks who just said no. The door rush footage on the local news was not nearly as exciting as it has been in previous years. There were a few knock downs and maybe some bruises here and there but no big time events that may be on an episode of Cops later. I did not say I enjoyed watching people run over each other, I was just commenting that it was less violent this year. My wife works in retail and we are very much aware how serious these numbers are to the folks trying to keep their doors open. Anyone would be impressed in getting over two thirds of our entire population to participate in almost anything. The experts tell us after the numbers are scrubbed and analyzed, that some 40% of us attend at least one Church service per week. That would be around 124 million. Maybe we need a black Sunday promotion where we give everyone who comes through the door the opportunity to gain access to eternal life through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Wait a minute, we already do that. I can't think of anything greater in value than that, therefore, we will just have to keep on offering it to those who do show up. Amen.

A dear brother in Christ sent me a video/song the other day that really puts the Christ of Christmas in perspective. The setup is a little boy at the big mall observing the line of those waiting to see Santa. He simply asks the question: Where's the line to see Jesus? It got my attention, therefore, I wanted to share it with my readers. It can be found at this link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPViKJRHyZo It will be well worth you time. Over a million people have watched it on YouTube.You may have to copy it and put it into your search engine or just go to YouTube and put in 'Where's the line to see Jesus?' The other day I spoke about those wise men who were seeking Jesus as preserved in Matthew's Gospel. Many focus on the trip they made and the gifts they brought. Those are important facts dealt with in this account. However, it has always impressed me to observe their response when they came into the room in the house where they first laid eyes on the Child sitting there with his mother, Mary. They recognized Him as being the answer to the question they had posed to Herod the King: "Where is he who is born King of the Jews?" These were men of means, perhaps men of renown, but it is instructive to observe closely what happened next. The text simply says they fell down and worshipped Him. What a profound scene and what an amazing picture for you and I. Before anything else we need to take our cue from these men who recognized they were in the presence of the Living Lord of the Universe. We need to do some falling down before Him and some worshipping of Him if we are to experience fully the Christ of Christmas. Amen. (Read this remarkable account again for the first time in Matthew Chapter two.)

My wife typically sends me a note each day about my blog. Many times she will indicate how that it was a good sermon. While my intention is certainly not to sermonize, I send out the stuff that comes to mind and I do, as a teacher and Bible presenter, dwell on these matters perhaps a little more than others. You can be sure that I am never trying to promote myself as being something I am not, because I know all too well how much I need God and His grace every minute of every day. That's why I love what a pastor friend and mentor from many years ago once said. He said that we who are believers are all fellow strugglers. That's right folks. We all struggle. You may not struggle with the issues that you neighbor has to deal with but you have your battles, I have mine, but, as the Apostle Paul gave it to us, "Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through Jesus Christ our Lord." (1st Corinthians 15:57) One of my desires in doing a daily blog is to encourage us all because we all need encouragement and quite frankly, we need the infusion of encouragement that comes from God. We also very much need support and love from each other. Here's a song we do not hear much anymore but it's very appropriate for us all: I need the prayers of those I love while traveling o'er life's rugged way. That I may true and faithful be and live for Jesus every day. I want my friends to pray for me to bear my tempted soul above. And intercede with God for me, I need the prayers of those I love.  Amen. Tune in tomorrow where this same space will be occupied by who knows what.          ......More later.

No comments: