Wednesday, December 8, 2010

This much stuff? And it's only Wednesday!

A funny thing happened to me on my way to writing my blog this morning. Not really. I was just trying out an opening sentence if I get stuck in the future. That's a pretty standard fill in the blank joke line but you just never know when it might come in handy. If you are able to read this, not only thank a teacher, but also be aware that we did make it to Wednesday, December 8, 2010, therefore, we have something to praise God for. I did a short series for my Bible study class on being thankful coincidental to the Thanksgiving Holiday. I actually pulled all the verses in the Old and New Testaments that use the words thank, thanks, thankful, thanksgiving, thankfulness, etc., you get the idea. I was very impressed in how much God said through the writers of Holy writ regarding this important attribute. One of the interesting lessons dealt with the subject of how thankfulness and giving are inextricably linked. Folks who are truly thankful are most likely to demonstrate their thankful hearts by giving to others. We also learned that God pays little attention to how much people give in terms of the dollar amounts but He always looks at the heart of the giver. The Apostle Paul was knocked down by the giving spirit of the impoverished Macedonian believers. He implied that he wasn't even going to ask because he knew they had so very little. However, they insisted in being a part of sending relief to those Judean believers who were suffering. Somehow and some way they gave a generous gift and Paul used their spirit to encourage others to join in the relief effort. Why did they insist when they had so very little? Because God had brought new life to them and from a changed heart and a thankful spirit they sought to give as much as they could. It's a magnificent account and you can read it as found in 2 Corinthians, Chapters 8 and 9. What better time to get in touch with an attitude of gratitude than right here and now in the midst of the season where we celebrate the greatest gift ever given, (John 3:16). Amen.

I know you all will likely become weary in hearing my Santa stories but feel free to use the page down key or the escape key at any time. At the Chick-fil-A on Monday evening we so much enjoyed our time there. The atmosphere is always kicked up a notch in most of these fast food restaurants. The food is okay but I believe it is their people who make this feeling of warmth and pleasantness a reality. Talk about smiles. Talk about making you feel as if they really do want to take your order. I pointed out to my wife that one thing you do not see at other places is the number of off duty workers who hang out at their place of work. They actually enjoy being there. I read the founder's first book a number of years ago and I can tell you their basic principles are not only good for business but they are also based on Biblical truth. I am paid to appear as Santa there but I am not engaged in promoting their business but when you look at how they do what they do, it's pretty doggone impressive. Now to the real reason I did this little flash back. We had some lovely children doing photos Monday night. One of the favorite things for my wife is to see a little one come through the door and their expression literally lights up when they recognize Santa. Many of them run as fast as they can to get to the jolly old elf. Not a bad way to spend an evening. Right? I've still not gotten to the real reason yet but it is now time to see what was behind door number three because it was the Big Deal of the day. It was none other than our precious little bundle of Madelyn Joy who came many miles to be there with Santa, aka, her Great Grand Poppy!

I actually wore out my first set of training wheels as a brand new Poppy on Madelyn Joy's mommy, our Tiffany. When we see Madelyn Joy we cannot mistake how much of a carbon copy she is of her mom at this same age. It's really hard to describe because it's like having a flood of memories played out before our very eyes. It's one of those been there and done that but we never get tired of experiencing God's blessing, that is, until they get to be teenagers. It's a joke. We love them all, all the time, no matter what! Okay. I think I have well fulfilled my gushing quotient for the day. I do know there is a fine line between being excited about family versus an attitude of boasting that really does go too far. Life itself with all of its ups and downs has a way of helping to frame the context of the things God allows us to enjoy. We, like every other family, know what it means to deal with adversity and trouble. We also know what it means to cling to God's unchanging hand. That's the difference maker for us all, God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. We cannot always keep the storm away but we can ride it out with the One who said, "Do not be afraid, it is I." Have a great day and know that as a believer our identity is fixed and nothing, no matter what, can change who we are in Christ! Amen.           ......More later.

No comments: