Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas Eve!

December 24th 2010. One of everyone's favorite things during this time of year is Christmas music. I have tried to listen to as much of it as possible, here at work, at home, in the car, and even have led a few Christmas carols in our Wednesday evening Bible study class. The Christmas hymns and carols are fixtures in helping to define the season for those of us who have been blessed to be raised in a Christian home. Then we have our own definition of songs that were a part of our memory box. Seasonal renditions by the likes of Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Perry Como, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Brenda Lee, Elvis Presley, Eddy Arnold, Burl Ives, the 1940's big bands, the Andrews Sisters, the Mills Brothers, and so many, many more. Several years ago I stumbled onto the obscure song called Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses from 1981. For some reason I like it. I also enjoy the brothers band, Hanson,in their song,  (No. I haven't reverted to some rocked out flash back, I just happen to like those songs.) It's Christmas. If you have a computer and if it is connected to the internet as most people are, even my 86 year old mother has one, and while she may not call it a personal computer and instead has deemed it to be a doohickey, she can send and receive email and stay in touch with friends and family far and wide, and being connected means you can find almost any song ever recorded by going to YouTube and searching for it by title, by artist, by genre, by year, by just about anything else. (Run on sentences are my specialty!) You haven't had the urge to listen to some Tex Ritter lately? He has some memorable songs including a few Christmas tunes as well. Music.What a gift. And, how wonderful it is to wrap up our memories in those tunes that speak to our hearts.

I am writing this blog more or less on the go because of all that I need to be able to get done today. I have to stay on the go because of all the 'to do' that I have on my 'to do' list. I plan to be well into making that list by the time you break open and read this enlightening piece of homespun musings. While I am not a big fan of 24 hour stay open all the time stores, it does pay off now and then, so I will be like the fellow who typically rails against it, except for when it fits his own schedule. The other day I had to go real early to pick up something for my wife and found out that others had the exact same idea. What's up with that? Doesn't anyone value sleep anymore? I thought I would have gotten the first or second parking spot. People. You just can't manage them. Know what I mean? It is the day before and since my wife is working I will try to finish up the shopping for our big day. My plan is to get it done by noon and after that I will begin to begin to get the house in order for our family celebration. That's the plan. But we all know that plans are typically not ironclad, therefore, I am sure by the time I am standing in line for umpteenth time, it will appear not to be going as well as I expected. Then, from a magical source somewhere in the store, I will hear the refrain 'O Come Let Us Adore Him', and perhaps that will help me to regroup and re-frame my thinking about this special time of the year. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa, (and I should know), but more importantly, there is a Savior who was born and laid in a manger, so many years ago. Have a great Christmas eve and say a little prayer for those retail folks that have to deal with customers like me. Just joking. I will be on my best behavior or at least that too is a part of the plan. May God bless each one. Amen.          ......More later.

No comments: