Friday, December 17, 2010

Tomorrow, a very special day for us!

I am off on a day of vacation to take care of a couple of Santa appearances. I will be visiting a Christian Academy later this morning and then do a stop over at the daycare where our grandson Alex goes each day. It is Friday, December 17, 2010 and I bid you a warm welcome to today's edition. Tomorrow is Saturday, the 18th, and it is a significant day in our family. Our daughter-in-law Mitzi, married to our youngest son, Rodney, celebrates her birthday on Saturday. She is a working mom. That word working is used intentionally because while she may only work an abbreviated schedule outside their home, she is always engaged in what seems like an endless array of activities, projects, and family matters. You have to get up early and be prepared to stay late if you are to keep up with Mitzi, and we are so thankful for her being such a wonderful wife to our son, and such a loving and involved mother to our grandchildren, Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady. She and Rodney are currently on a short cruise to Mexico and we send her birthday greetings along with our prayer that God will continue to bless and keep her. Amen. Happy Birthday Mitzi.

Our Jimmy Jr. also shares this day as his birthday. He is our Jimmy's eldest and we are so very proud of him on this, his 14th birthday. He's our first boy grandchild and he has always been close to his MiMi and Poppy. He had a bad day recently and when I asked him about it he said something about hormones and then asked me didn't I ever go through some changes. What? What was that again? I'm the one asking the questions here. We had a good laugh but dealing with him becoming a 14 year old really makes it hard to believe. I can see myself rocking him to sleep as an infant in that glider just like it was yesterday. He was one that required much rocking and we turned that glider into a high mileage vehicle to accommodate him. Sure, he has his own quirks but all in all he's been not only a good kid, but one that we have always enjoyed spending time with. We still enjoy him hanging out with us and count being his grandparents as one of our greatest blessings. He does like spending time on the computer where he can play those video games for hours. He has so much potential and we pray that God will continue to nourish him and to guide his steps. Happy Birthday Jimmy Jr., and may God bless. Amen.

Least but not last, in fact, first, last, and always I recognize the crowning achievement of this day, the 18th of December. That's our wedding day and I pause to recognize the 46th anniversary of our becoming husband and wife. It would be so wonderful to say that it's been just one episode after another of nothing but good times but that would not be true. I'll let you in on a secret, it's not a bed of roses for any couple but on balance it reflects one of the greatest blessings in my life. Just the other day I was talking with a young man who is seeking that special someone for his life. I retold the story about how Marilyn and I got together. For me it was one of those unforgettable knee knocking, breath taking experiences similar to the vault falling out of the building and landing on the head of the cartoon character. I can't say it was love at first sight but it certainly was something very close to that. I say that because you only really love someone the right way when you love them the way God has instructed. That didn't come on the first day and it is still a work in progress. But, it is one that I continue to work on. Forty six years. That's no small amount of time, my friend. Lord willing, I desire to still be loving her until the cows come home, metaphorically speaking, meaning, until I take my final journey to my heavenly home. Happy Anniversary Darling, because here's the truth of the matter: .....Baby, you are still the greatest! May God bless one and all and to all a good night, a good Saturday, and a good Lord's Day Sunday!. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: