Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dad to slow driver: "What you doing, waiting for Christmas?" Finally got it right!

Trust me, it is Tuesday, December 14, 2010, and there's only eleven shopping days left before Christmas. It must do the merchant hearts good to know that people are counting down those days. I looked it up because I typically don't let my procrastination get tripped up by a looming deadline. I put that statement in for the record since my wife is one of those who hates to delay things. I hear people even waiting in the grocery store line talking about how they finished their Christmas shopping the first week in December. That is really good for them but we all are put together differently, therefore, some are proactive and then there's folks like me. I do believe in planning and that's why I have the last couple of days penciled in to finish my shopping. I am a fan of online shopping and I've already done some for this year. I particularly like the free shipping and the discounts that you can get from purchasing in this way. But to each is granted his or her own preference and I will likely also be out there for some last minute items in what will likely be a melee of sorts. Knowing this in advance will at least help me to prepare for the shopper two step required to get it all done.It seems like one of the kids may have left some knee pads and a helmet at the house. That's an idea. They may come in handy.

I've heard folks trying to answer the question about what they remember to be their most memorable Christmas.This is a really tough question for me. Not because I don't have any as candidates but because there are just too many to evaluate. We had some pretty rough times growing up but I can't remember these ever interfering with us having an enjoyable Christmas. My wife and I rolled into our new family all the traditions from both mine and hers to establish 'our' own identity. We have been blessed throughout our times of celebrating Christmas of always being together as a family, always sharing love and our mutual care, and enjoying our own style of feasting and fellowship. I hear folks talking about their plans for a big traditional feast similar to Thanksgiving. For some twenty five years or longer we have had a steak dinner as our meal at Christmas and it has become our tradition. The food police may well outlaw this in the future but we do have that menu as our plan for this upcoming celebration. My wife is a Christmas lights fan from the inside out and all over as well. She loves the lights. I like a good tree with many lights and decorations but the huge outdoor lighting display is not my cup of tea. I don't dislike them as much as being neutral to having them for our home, and I will admit I do think about the electricity from time to time. However, she gets such joy from them and that makes it okay with me, period, end of story. I would like to think that without regard to all the fun and festivities, we have attempted to ground our celebration in the facts of our faith, and that includes recognition of our Savior coming into the world as a baby born to a young virgin. If anything, it is that foundation that has somehow made itself obvious throughout the many years of our celebrations, and perhaps it more than anything else has given us the wonderful memories we enjoy today.

While I was out on a Santa project this past Sunday afternoon our eldest son and his daughter, son-in-law, along with our little bundle of Madelyn Joy came by to pick up an unused Christmas tree. We couldn't be there but we understand that little Madelyn was fascinated by many of the Christmas items we have out. She fell in love with one plump stuffed Christmas bear and now that she is walking she carried it around for quite some time. I told my son if we had been there she most likely would have left with one Christmas bear added to their family. I would have had no trouble seeing her take home that bear. My wife might feel differently about it but I know her well enough to say the bear would have changed addresses. Isn't it interesting how free we are in sharing things with those we love? Spontaneously. We don't have to think very long at all. That's an example of how ready and willing we should be in sharing with others regardless of their situation or standing. Ouch! Me too! Ever notice how judicious we typically become whenever we are considering helping or giving something to someone else? Are they really in need? Will they do the right thing with what we give them? We can easily become so judicious that we lose the joy of giving in the process of getting ready to give. "Lord, help me to be the kind of giver that gives freely even as You have given to me." That's a pretty good prayer for me here at Christmas time and it probably is one we all could use. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: