Friday, December 10, 2010

Remembering to remember those who are dealing with sadness during this time of the year.

Good Friday morning on this December 10, 2010, and welcome once again. Last Wednesday evening in our Bible study and prayer time one of our dear ladies mentioned that she has been burdened to pray for all those who are struggling with the loss of loved ones during this holiday season. That just jumped out there and we all were moved by our understanding about how difficult it is to fully get into the joy of the occasion when one is still grieving the loss of a loved one. Since emotions are very elevated during this time of year and much about the Christmas season involves memories, it's only natural for us all to think about those who will be missing at the table this year. I thank God for placing matters like this on the hearts of people. And I thank God for how that we can join together in praying for each other and especially for those suffering losses dear to them. I know I can remember our baby sister's last Christmas with us in 1978 like it was yesterday. She had some things to say to us all. She had written them down. Images like that are indelibly etched in our memory banks but I also remember her testimony of faith and fortitude in the midst of her prolonged battle against the ravages of Leukemia. I remember her pain and sorrow about leaving her family so early in her sojourn, however, she would have a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her lips when she contemplated meeting her Savior face to face. Yesterday as I was browsing through the obituaries I landed on this one and it illustrates better than I can the depth of sorrow and grief that many struggle with at this time of year.


MY CHRISTMAS WISH - CHARLES D. TOVAR  Feb. 14, 1988 - Dec. 9, 2007   Hi Charlie! On that cold night of December 8, 2007, I saw you smile as you put on your jacket to leave. I saw you laugh as you hugged Chloe before you walked out of the house. We had a great day Charles! We had Christmas dinner and you helped put up the Christmas tree. You always helped us son. Your mother and I and Chloe were always proud of you! Little did we know that when you left that night, you would never return home and you would be forever 19. Your young life was cut short by a drunk driver, and on December 9, you left all of us to be with God. You couldn't stay another day, another hour, another minute? You just couldn't stay. In a little over a year after you were brutally taken away from us, your mother lost her battle with cancer and was called by God to be with you. I knew you were waiting for her, waiting to give her that big hug she longed for and cherished so much. December is cold Charlie. If I could just hold you one more time, a peace and warmth would be given to me that only the angels in Heaven would know. But for the moment, that just isn't meant to be so my Christmas Wish is that you will watch over your little sister Chloe and me. Guide us, protect us, and pray for us Charles. Watch over your friends and watch and protect all others who would be harmed and have been harmed by the senseless acts of drunk drivers. That's my Christmas Wish Charles. You're in my heart and soul Charlie and though my heart grieves, I know that you are always with me and Chloe. I miss you dearly and I will always love you. Merry Christmas my Son - Love, your Dad.              Published in Houston Chronicle on December 9, 2010

I know that this is not a happy go lucky subject but the reality does reach out and grab us as we can literally feel this dad's suffering. We might not share his views or ideas about many different things but we can appreciate the extent to which he grieves over the loss of his dearly beloved son. What can you and I do about things like this? We can recognize it to be a reality and we can do what we can to help those near and dear to us as well as others who have a particularly rough time during this season. Last Saturday as I greeted what looked like an endless line of little ones, a young girl about 8 or 9 sat on my knee and when I asked what she wanted for Christmas, this is what she said, "Santa, all I want is for my family to be back together again." I looked down at those big eyes and Santa nearly had to take a break to go feed his reindeer. Folks, there's all kinds of pain and even the least among us deal with it in their own way. The good news is that we can always share the One who provides what the Apostle called a peace that goes beyond understanding. (Philippians 4:7) The Prince of Peace is our only hope and their only hope as well. Don't forget to remember those who may be needing a special touch. Who knows? You may be the one God has appointed to bring that touch to them. Until next time, may God bless you all. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: