Friday, December 3, 2010

Serving up some ice cold memories!

Greetings to one and all on this Friday, December 3, 2010. On Wednesday morning here at the Company we had some mid-twenties to get the day started and there was frost not only on the pumpkin but on anything and everything else. Standing out in the cold I could look around and see the trees nearby and it reminded me of those many days of being out in the woods for a hunting expedition with my grandfather. Us boys would stand there shivering and he would bend down and ask, "Just what are you going to do when it really gets cold?" We were not too excited about that question and I have found that when I repeat it to folks who are really cold, they give me the same kind of look we likely gave to him. Okay. Confession time. Last week I did share that question with the bell ringer when I stopped to put my change in the kettle. She laughed but not heartily. I actually only asked her that question because it really wasn't that cold but she was bundled up like you might see in Alaska. But, everyone has their threshold and just so you know, we parted company as friends. Our biggest challenge back on the hunting trail was to be as careful as we could walking into the area where we were going to hunt. Often we would be making our way down an old road and there would be ice on the mud puddles. We had learned the hard way to avoid any contact with water because two pair of socks with our regular shoes was no protection from wet feet. But, I will give him credit. He took us and even camped out with us a number of times. Sleeping on a bunch of dew dampened homemade quilts in the back of a pickup truck in near freezing temperatures is no cake walk, but waking up to Paw Paw's breakfast of heavy biscuits, (he called them sinkers), fried eggs, fried squirrel, gravy, and some super strong coffee, now that's a memory and a half. That's where I learned to take the cold. That's where I learned to love the cold. Age has made the loving part a little more difficult but it has not worn down any of those precious memories, and for that I am thankful.

Last Tuesday evening at our inner city Bible Club meeting it was too cold for the kids to have game time outside. Hello? Doing games inside is a challenge and probably should come with some of those earplugs you get at a NASCAR race. We have some younger kids who recently turned 6 and they graduated into the main group. One of these little guys had a pretty rough night with a combination of minor mishaps and some embarrassments. His final hurt came when he somehow got his finger banged up and he was crying. They fetched him some ice to put on it and I held him in my lap. Tears were rolling down his cheeks. I couldn't help but think about how tears are common to us all as well as our struggle to join the team and make a go of it in life. I believe he was hurting as much on the inside as he was on his finger but with some special love and attention, after about five minutes, he was ready to get out there and try it again. I could wipe away his tears and encourage him but one day we will be in a place where all tears will be wiped away forever and ever Amen. (The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 21, Verse 4) That gives us all something to look forward to but until then, we need someone to come along side of us and give us a boost when things aren't going so well, and perhaps we need to be that someone who does the same for others.

I don't know about you this week but I've been busier than a one toothed man at a corn-on-the-cob eating contest. That was the best illustration I could come up with on short notice. Please don't report me to the One Toothed Man Association because I've got my hands full with all the other stuff on my plate. All these food metaphors is causing my glucose meter to vibrate over in my satchel. Folks who know me say I am wearing myself out and there are some days when I might agree. However, I saw an article the other day about these competitive sporting games for older folks and two of the contestants were in their 90's. I don't know whether to be inspired or incensed. The nerve of people like that making us all feel guilty. Joking only, God bless them and anyone who is still out there doing their thing. I will tell you that I have no expectations for anyone to be writing stuff like that about me in about 25 years. But, who knows? I might surprise us all including myself. Being over scheduled is pretty much a way of life for most of us these days. Being aware of it is the best way to not allow the schedule itself to dictate the quality of one's life. Making time for God and the important people in our life may take some extraordinarily super effort, but honoring those priorities are what gives us the realization that we are here for a purpose, and we can make a difference. Here's a great place to start: Huddle all your bunch together and show up at the local meeting place on Sunday where God is worshipped and His truth presented. That will go a long way in helping you with the rest of the week that's always going to be screaming for attention. May God bless one and all. Amen.               ......More later.

No comments: