Friday, October 1, 2010

"Book him Danno!"

I see they are bringing back Hawaii 5-0 which I suppose backs up what Solomon penned in Ecclesiastes when he said there is nothing new under the sun. We watched the original fairly regularly back when it was on and maybe now a newer generation will get it when I say, "Book him Danno!" I could use a little less of the puzzled stare when I try to use a euphemistic quote to make a point. Even Nixon appeared on Laugh In and mouthed those famous words, "Sock it to me!" But, here we are, and since there is no other place except for the one we find ourselves in, I bid you welcome to Friday, October 1, 2010. The goblins are already all over the stores in anticipation of the next opportunity to fleece the flock in preparation for Halloween. You say it couldn't be that big of a deal? If those are your thoughts, then you, my friend, are entitled to be wrong. They are predicting that we Americans will part with nearly $6 billion this year, up nearly a billion over last year's sales. The good news is that we are living during a time when folks have a lot of extra cash for this kind of purchasing. Right? Hardly! But clever marketing matched to people's frustrations tied to expectations and all the rest added together will try to turn merchandiser's dreams into reality. When we were kids we may have had a purchased mask or two but for the most part all our stuff was homegrown. Back then, we never conceived of a dark side where evil people would try to poison children or take advantage of them in some way. We were in it for one thing and one thing only: No it wasn't the economy, stupid, it was the CANDY! With sales at a premium this year I wouldn't doubt it if we find some chains pursuing a kaleidoscope of marketing going on at the same time. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all competing for the same shelf space. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Seasons change but the free enterprise system will find a way!

Former co-worker Waymon
A fellow that worked for a couple of years here at the company passed away the other day. He was only 59. He had multiple health issues but after being stung by wasps he refused to seek medical care even though he was highly allergic. The next morning he woke up dead, as they say back home. Most of the older hands here had known this fellow for 25 years or longer. When he worked here he was responsible for shipping and receiving. I remember one day I asked about a rush delivery and he told me it had not come in. I put a trace on it. They sent me a copy of the receiving ticket and it had his signature on it. I carried it back to his area and told him I knew who had signed for it. I asked him if he knew anyone by the name of and then said his name very slowly. He immediately became very agitated. He asked if I was accusing him of stealing. He said if I had known him a few years ago we would take it outside and we would see who the better man was. He was very serious. I was taken aback but very amused in a nervous sort of way. Later I asked his brother who also worked here about it and he told me not to worry about it because that's just the way his brother acts. They tell me he was buried in his overalls with a can of snuff in his pocket. He was a devoted family man and doted day and night on his grandson. His grandson had placed a small baseball glove in the coffin. Life is about people. People are characters. And, this fellow certainly gave me some stories to tell. May God be with his wife and family. Amen.

It just goes to show you that none of us ever know what a day might bring. I have a Santa business card. It is not for solicitation as much as it is given as a remembrance. I call the hospital at least twice a day to check on my brother. This requires I talk directly with the nurse attending to him. I've been there and I know they are busy, typically shorthanded, and seem never to get caught up. Some are, by nature, more friendly and forthcoming than others. There was one in particular at night who I just couldn't seem to work with. She would always be mostly yes and no and seemed somewhat aggravated by my call. Last Saturday I visited with the day nurse and we talked about my Santa stuff and I gave her one of my cards. That night when I called they put me through to the difficult lady  I told her who I was. Her tone was very different and she immediately asked if I was the real Santa? I laughed and told her she must have seen the card. She went on and on about how she had been a good little girl and wanted me to have her wish list for Christmas. Hello? After this she went into a full description of all that was going on regarding my brother's situation. How funny is that? Since then, every time I have talked to her it has been like a visit to toyland. One little card with photos of Santa. Folks, again, and again, I keep telling you, you cannot make this stuff up, but it does make each day interesting. Don't you agree? Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and Lord willing I'll be somewhere out there clacking away on my keyboard come Monday! May God bless. Amen.                  .....More later.

No comments: