Tuesday, October 19, 2010

There's little future in always living in the past? Huh?

The Bible gives us an expression we all should learn to embrace as we start each day: "This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) Saying this and meaning this can be difficult given the troubles we face at times. Then we have those of us who tend to remember the good old days and as we do they just seem to get better and better. So here we are on this Tuesday, October 19, 2010, and this is what I am ping ponging forth and back up there in that place where those gray cells tend to run wild. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn from the past and seek to keep the good things we experienced going. However, we can, if we are not careful, tend to tune out on the here and now and when it's all said and done, that's the only day we have to accomplish anything or to make a difference. I, like many folks, enjoy looking back and thinking about how things were way back when and that's why we call them the good old days. Yet, if we are not careful we can turn them into the much better days than they really were. Technology has changed our society but yet there are so many breakthroughs in medicine and in areas of improved safety, it would be hard for us to think we were better off without the technological advances we have seen in our lifetimes. Sure, I loved the simplicity of life the way it used to be, or, at least, the way I remember that it used to be.

I tell people all the time that while there are many ills that plague us as people in terms of the coarseness of our times, the misuse of technologies for evil, and how that the pace of life saps quality and a sense of family, there are also remarkable things for us to be proud of. I think about all the dead men that are still preaching the gospel all over the world, in languages far and wide. No. I'm not talking about folks being raised from the dead. I'm talking about digital technologies that have preserved the preaching ministries of men like Dr. J. Vernon MaGee, Dr. Adrian Rogers, and so many others. These men who have passed on to their reward are still reaching people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They are on the air 24 hours a day because of the same technologies used to do things that are not at all noble. See what I mean? And, it wasn't that different before in those good old days because people are people, today, just like they were back in the day. I still listen to these fellows when I can and nothing thrills me more than to hear letters read from people all over the world who have given their hearts to Christ as a result of these broadcasts.

I suppose to many of us we find ourselves wanting to pick and choose. We would love the slow pace of life back when folks didn't have so much to clutter up their day timers. In fact, not that many people used a day timer. However, the hectic world we live in provides an ability for medical folks to view digital images from any where in the world to provide cooperating consultation to help save lives. Experts in almost any field of study can help solve problems anywhere in the world in real time. Why, then are we so messed up? I think it's all about that one statement I made before, it's because the bottom line today is just like the bottom line of yesteryear. We all are fallen and as the infamous commercial where the lady is on the floor hollering that she can't get up, we can't either. We need someone to lift us up out of this condition and that Someone is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. Now don't get me wrong. I like strolling down memory lane as well as the next person. I enjoy seeing all of that through the lens of my fanciful recollection. But, there is the reality of life as it is and in our embracing it while taking advantage of all that God has allowed us to have in order to bring honor to Him and to extend a helping hand to others. I could bore you with some details about why I am running late, running on empty, running scared, or just running like a chicken with his head cut off. By the way, I've seen that last one so don't be doubting it as an example. However, we all are caught in the stuff that defines our day. Let's get out there and see what God can help us to accomplish, TODAY! Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: