Tuesday, October 5, 2010

To our son, Paw Paw to Madelyn Joy, Happy Birthday!

It is now Tuesday, October 5, 2010 and I'm doing one of those flashbacks to a small hospital in rural Louisiana on this very same day some 45 years ago. That was quite a day for my wife and I as we welcomed into the world our firstborn son, Chris. I will not deny it was a situation of children having children since we were both so young but it was the beginning of a journey that we look back on with Godly pride and joy. Chris showed up and he might as well as had a tool kit in his hands because he came pre-wired with an uncanny mechanical ability. There must have been some gene pool confusion or something because he sure didn't get it from me. I had plenty of opportunities to learn carpentry, auto repair, and other hands-on types of skills, and, I actually found myself helping some who were really good at them, but none of that appealed to me and I certainly was not inclined to do them naturally. I can't even remember how young Chris was when he started fixing things around the house. I wish now I would have waited on him a few years, saved up all those complicated toys, and let him put them together. When he was still barely more than an infant I bought him a huge jumping horse for Christmas. I stayed up all night putting that thing together. Back in those days, made in Japan, was the source of all the confusing but often funny translated instructions. My guess is that Chris could put that same toy together in two hours flat, maybe quicker. I should have taken photos of my blisters so that he could have at least admired my effort. Several years later he was actually able to ride that thing and we've got the Super 8 video converted to VHS to prove it. Now I need to get it from VHS to DVD so we can see it again.

He has always been a fine person even as a child. He got the well mannered gene right off the get go and it stuck. Today his mom and I could not be more proud of the reputation for integrity he has built. Many within our extended family thought I was much too strict on him when he was just a tyke running around. I most likely was but we were all making it up as we went back in those days. I suppose he is a good example of someone who survived all the trial and error we tried as we sought to instill in him our values and our faith. Today he is a faithful follower of His Lord and Savior, a very successful business man, a wonderful husband and dad, and is fast becoming a legendary Paw Paw to his first granddaughter. Chris has a servant's heart and the good news is that when he gets ready to serve he can usually do whatever it is he engages in. That's much better than having a servant's heart but not being able to do too much. He has been very faithful to his mother and I, seeing us through some pretty rough times, like Hurricane Ike, and many others. I've learned well the meaning of a quote attributed to Shakespeare, "When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry." Thanks for being a blessing to so many. Happy Birthday son from your mother and I and may God continue to guide your path. Amen.             ......More later.

No comments: