Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Wasn't the sun supposed to hide itself more at this time of year?

Hello my fellow Americans, I bring you summertime greetings here on this Tuesday, October 26, 2010. If we are going to be seeing any frost on pumpkins around these parts, there will have to be some dramatic changes in the mix. I know you can't please all the people any of the time but I will admit to being a little miffed when I hear someone raving on about how wonderful the weather has been. Ninety degrees in October and that's wonderful? Whatever happened to some good old shivering to help get us started each morning during this time of the year? I will be putting up the frozen tundra photos as a background on my computer and perhaps that will make me feel a little cooler. It just goes to show you, and I'll let you fill in the blank. It's like those poor dudes who try to keep the temperatures moderated for our Church services. What's comfortable and pleasant to some, is nothing short of misery to someone else. In fact, I was standing at the back door one day when an older lady came by and let me know that she would not be back until they learned not to try to freeze people to death during the services. She was really angry. I told her how sorry I was that she felt uncomfortable and that I would speak to someone about it. My guess is that we had others who felt exactly like her only in the opposite direction with it being just too hot to enjoy the services. I'm old enough to remember the funeral home fans whipping forth and back during services when I was a kid. People may not have enjoyed the environment but since the only thermostat they had access to was the one in their hand, well, they didn't really do much complaining.

I've been reading about the early voting thus far and it appears folks are swarming and eager to cast their vote this year. Interestingly enough, the mainstream media was in love with the hope and change crowd and couldn't get enough of how exciting it was to see people rally behind candidate Obama. They report these current early voters as being all angry about run away spending and how the economy continues to be broken. These people have the nerve to want to get rid of folks in congress. Before these same news outlets delighted in seeing apathy set aside for fervor and passion. Now according to their spin, we are witnessing a sad day as Americans rise up to show their disdain for a government aligned with nearly everything they are not aligned with. I heard an interesting excuse by the President the other day. He said his team was so focused on getting everything right on the policies, they had failed to spend the time required to celebrate their accomplishments and inform the public about how great these polices are. Really? I happened to have overhead some insurance folks explaining to a business owner why they were raising their rates 14% for the company and for the employee contribution. Somehow the part about getting the policy right was absent from the conversation as these folks who had read the 2,000 pages of the healthcare bill went on and on about how this was only a preemptive strike with likely more increases to come. For a policy that promised to immediately drive down everyone's cost, these comments didn't sound even close to 'getting it right'! Sorry, Mr. President, but it seems that particular excuse will not work with these unruly Americans who are angry and reportedly they are doing that thing that at one time was thought to be sacred and wonderful, they are exercising their right to vote their conscience and their aspirations for their children and grandchildren. I pray that a message is sent that echoes through the halls of power in Washington DC, and that this message will be heard by an entirely new set of folks who might aught to pay close attention to it!

Don't get me wrong. Fair and balanced requires that we call baloney - baloney no matter where it comes from. And, there is plenty to go around this election cycle from all sides of the political spectrum. The other evening someone called our home asking us to vote for a particular statewide candidate. I didn't get a chance to talk to them but if I had I would have told them that I was going to vote for that individual but not because they represented my views. They happen to be the lesser of evils in this case and claim some attachment to conservative principles. I would have also told them that I hate having to go to the polls with a clothespin on my nose because of those I will be voting for, not to mention the others who are running. This sounds harsh and perhaps even overly critical. Perhaps. But for me we need to rattle some cages not just in Washington but everywhere from the jailhouse to the courthouse to the White House, or maybe even to the outhouse. But we need to let people know that we really are sick and tired of being sick and tired about business as usual. I'm thankful to live in a district where most local folks running for office hold conservative views regardless of their party affiliation. This is why there's typically a lot of split ballots because some folks on the other side may be a stronger conservative than the one who carries a label. It is up to you and I to do the research and the study needed to conclude on our own exactly who it is that will best represent the values we hold dear. Don't worry about the slant the news media is putting on the election, get out there and make something happen that will reclaim America and help her once again become the beacon of light to the world. Amen. This is not a paid political commentary and no animals were harmed in the writing of this blog. It's a joke. You can laugh even if you disagree with my views! See you next time.                 ......More later.

No comments: