Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What happened? Were your eyes bigger than your stomach?

Update on my brother Donald: We found out on Monday that he no longer requires the ICU level of care and has been moved to another area of the same acute care hospital. This is good news because it reflects progress. I could not have been more pleased with all the medical staff we met while he was in the ICU. Some were there because of it being their job. Others are there for the same reason but one could tell it was also their calling in life. I was there the morning that Donald developed a bleeding ulcer that could not be stopped. He became extremely critical and I watched one particular nurse turn on the overdrive as she was a blur of activity in taking care of business. I later told her that she is an example of what devotion along with expertise is all about. Thank God for those who truly care causing them to go above and beyond! Now we wait to see how he will progress in this new phase.

Happy Wednesday, October 20, 2010. You will be glad to know there are only 65 days until Christmas. I have been blessed with a number of promising inquiries regarding my work as Santa and will be trying to fix a schedule for the holiday season soon. Just so you know, I am aware that I occasionally throw in a wrong word here and there. My wife is always good to point out these miscues because she knows how important quality is to me. I do typically correct them on the main blog website, http://viewfrommypew.blogspot.com/, which can be accessed at any time. This is also where my blogs are archived and will someday become an official member of the immeasurable electronic junk pile. Perhaps, Lord willing, if time continues as we know it, someday our little great grand bundle of Madelyn Joy, perhaps in her middle years, might say she wants to get to know her Grand Poppy better. Her mom can point her to whatever computing device they will be using then and maybe she can call up these writings and join with you all in reading, thinking, and then scratching her head. It might be like opening up one of those time capsule deals. I've heard about some of those that essentially ended up with everything inside having disintegrated. Sort of like that Geraldo TV special where they had found Al Capone's secret vault. Only one problem. After over an hour of build up, commercials, and contrived suspense, guess what happened? It was empty! Please don't ask me how I know about this because I sure wouldn't want anyone to know that I was one of those watching. Thanks for helping me in this matter.

I tend to splatter quite a few colloquialisms around each day. Many of them are dated, therefore, they are often met with a puzzled look and a furrowed brow. They are dated because I am, in fact, I'm way past my 'use by date' when it comes to relevance these days. But that doesn't stop me. I told the ladies here in the office that I am thinking about sharing with them a Colloquialism of the Day. More synchronized groaning. That came after I had made a noise with a cup in the microwave that startled them a little to which I asked, "What? You thought I had dropped the set out of my ring?" More puzzled stares. Working without a net could not be harder than this. I sure hope they don't think that someone "Beat me with an ugly stick." They must know that "This is not my first rodeo." It could be they think I'm "A few french fries short of a happy meal." (That one they do get, praise the Lord!) I might have to give in and accept the fact that this "Dog won't hunt." As long as I retain my self respect and don't come off as being "Dumb as a post." I suppose I should leave well enough alone before I end up being "Up the creek without a paddle." Of course many require explanation and that kind of kills it. I could say I feel like I've been rode hard and put up wet but very few people today would get the meaning. Horse people know that their animals should be dried, groomed, and taken care of after they have been ridden. See what I mean? It loses something when you talk about it. But, I'll keep at it, at least until "The cows come home." (Please don't write me about the differences between metaphors, similies, and/or colloquialisms, because as you can tell, it probably wouldn't do much to change what I am doing.)

Being in a room full of metal fabricators can be daunting as well. One day they were talking about how that someone had ground down some metal past its galvanized coating. I replied this would not be good because it likely destroyed its protective properties. Protective properties? One of the older dudes said I sure had a way with words because in all his years he didn't believe he had ever heard about how messing up galvanized metal could destroy its protective properties. One fellow said that he believed that what I had said was technically correct, or at least he thought it might be. Maybe I should have expressed it better by saying something like, "Messing up that metal made it weaker than Superman holding a bag full of kryptonite!" I can see you shaking your head. I hate it when you do that. It makes me think you think that I am "Crazy as a bessie bug." I will not even try to explain bessie bugs at this late date. Suffice it to say, or not to say, I've run out of time for this feeble attempt at figuring out how to fling fascinating funnies onto the electronic page. What's that you say? You are ready to run out as well? Okay, I'll just have to take my "Marbles and go home." Here's one we all can use: May God richly bless each and everyone and may we find ourselves thanking Him for all He does on our behalf. Amen.                   ......More later.

No comments: