Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I may not be the real Santa, therefore, I cannot see you when you're sleeping, but I know One who can!

This is the city. This is my beat. My name is blog writer. I was working the day watch when word came in that our country has just been voted out of the top 20 least corrupt countries in the world. Okay. You may not have recognized my opening words that feigned an attempt to channel Jack Webb playing Sergeant Joe Friday on both radio and TV in the immensely popular series 'Dragnet'. It is Wednesday, October 27, 2010 and the report about us slipping in the least corrupt nation category is true. Transparency International is a Berlin based group that evaluates countries based on the level of corruption in how the country functions. Last year we were rated the 19th least corrupt country but this year we have slipped to 22nd. This is the worst showing for the US since these ratings began being published 15 years ago. In our situation, it is not so much law breaking as it is the amount of corruption found within the financial and commercial activities of our nation. Essentially, it comes down to those who intentionally take extreme advantage of others especially the poor and disadvantaged. To me, it only reflects the truth proclaimed by the Prophet Jeremiah when he shouted: "The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?" (Jeremiah 17:9 NASB)  I'm not talking about them either. It's a me, myself, and I, as well as an every person problem. The fall of humanity into sin continues to show its full measure of sinfulness in these kinds of reports. However, when it involves taking from the elderly, the mentally challenged, or the lowliest in our society, I will just add that God has a special punishment for those who make merchandise of these folks, and He keeps much better records than any agency known to mankind! The least corrupt nation in the world according to this report is Denmark. That's pretty sad for us, a so called Christian nation, to lag so far behind in terms of this measurement.

People ask me all the time what I enjoy most about playing the Jolly Old Elf. Of course it has to always and forever be the children. But more than this, it is the special needs children that steal my heart every time. Some of them come in the building jumping up and down. They love without pretension and they soak up love like a sponge. I was talking to a lady at the hospital the other day about this and she smiled broadly when I mentioned special needs children. She teared up a little as she told me about her 24 year old daughter who has a mental disability since infancy. I cannot think of any people in this world that I admire more than parents who have devoted most of their lives to the love and care of a special needs child. Anything I can do to bring a smile or make the day a little brighter for one of these little ones is like a huge blessing as well as a distinct privilege. And, on top of that, they actually pay me to enjoy moments like these. Is this a great country or what? A number of my appearances are scheduled without a fee. One fellow told me to be sure and keep up with those pro bono projects so I can write them off. Santa and pro bono just doesn't sound right does it? There's much we could learn from those special children I mentioned. Jesus certainly thought it important to allow children to come to Him. He also used them as an example of what it takes to become one fit for heaven. It takes faith, the kind of faith expressed by a child. Here's exactly what He said: “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." (See Matthew Chapter 18) Something to think about!

Last Friday I attended a memorial service for a 23 year old man who had been killed in an automobile accident. His dad is a special friend to our family for a number of years. The grief hung heavy in that room, so much so that it felt like the air had been sucked out. Then our friend, Brother Scott, stood up and for nearly thirty minutes he painted a portrait of his only son. Scott's faith in his Sovereign God infused him with a message of love, faith, and hope. It was something I will never forget. God showed up during that service and while the tears continued to flow so did the love of God along with His mercy, grace, and comfort. Our words fail us at a time like this. But that does not mean that we are those who grieve without hope. Why? Because we believe God's Word and we are confident that what He has promised He will do, therefore, we don't say goodbye, we say, see you later because we'll be there with you when it comes our time. You can read about this hope and how the Apostle Paul was inspired to address the death of one of God's own children, in 1st Thessalonians Chapter 4. Paul instructs his readers to use these truths to bring comfort to one another. Thank you Bro. Scott for reminding us all that there is a reunion day coming where we will all see Jesus and each other in that place where Jesus said, "that where I am you may be also." (John 14) Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: