Monday, October 4, 2010

"Yabba dabba doo!"

It's good to see you made it back safe and sound. Most people chuckle when I use the word 'sound' in any context about myself. The classic words found in the standard last will and testament comes to mind: Being of sound mind. I need to be coming up with some kind of alternative for mine so that they don't get off on the wrong foot from the get go. But how in the world are you doing, anyway, on this Monday, October 4, 2010? Last Thursday was the 50th anniversary of the debut of the Flintstones Cartoon Show (September 30, 1960). I hate the word favorite because I have way too many in way too many categories. But I did enjoy the Flintstones immensely. The Flintstones characters paralleled and parodied one of the best comedy sitcoms of all time, The Honeymooners. I could still watch the Flintstones and I've never tired of watching The Honeymooners. Now please don't try to discover what deep seated psychological defect I'm carrying around that would make me gravitate to these types of shows. Whatever it is I'm pretty sure it's not contagious, however, I just remembered that my youngest son is also a huge fan of  The Honeymooners. I'll have to rethink some about the deep seated defects stuff, but to be honest, there's so much clutter on that radar screen, I'm not sure I could spot anything even if I saw it. But until I do, get your day started off with a clarion wake up call from Fred Flintstone himself, "Yabba dabba doo!"

Some of you thought that exclamation was what Adam said the first time he laid eyes on Eve. Preachers have been using that as a joke for so long I'm sure some might even think it is in the Bible. Speaking about the Bible, I saw last week the news story about the survey where folks of all persuasions were asked questions about religion and the Bible. They also ran it on the nightly news programs. Surprise! Surprise! Most people, sad to see, even practicing Christians, couldn't correctly answer very simple questions about the Bible. Most of them could not name the four Gospels, couldn't identify the city where Jesus was born, and didn't know that the first book in the Bible is Genesis. Guess what group scored the highest on this test? Those identifying themselves as atheists! The president of the American Bible Society commented that this should be a wake up call for all Christian leaders in how they should get back to the basics in providing instruction. In my time as a teacher I have observed a huge generational disconnect where far too many Church leaders have emphasized just about everything else other than the sound teaching of the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I fully realize the purpose of our instruction is not so that people can answer quizzes, however, being clueless about God's Word reflects a huge issue that can only spell trouble for many as they attempt to cope with the significant challenges they will face in this life.

Perhaps its the short attention span that most of us have developed as we attempt to email, text, watch TV, talk on the cell, and whatever else, all at the same time that causes us to resist taking the time necessary to dig deeper into the riches found in God's Holy Word. We have to admit that we are living in a hurry up world. I can remember seeing someone heating up their food in a microwave. As they stood there peering into the oven they were cheering it on to hurry up. Hurry up? We're talking seconds here but it's still not fast enough. I have a theory about this fast pace of life and you have heard it before. It's one that relates how the enemy of all that is good uses our busy lives to distract us and to lead us away from the things that truly matter for time and eternity. We would like to but we can't find time to pray, to study The Word, to be with our spouse or our children, to find a place to serve others, and the list goes on and on. Yet, it's not from a lack of activity but rather it comes from our failing to see the revolving door trap we find ourselves in. Spinning that door faster and faster will not get you to where you need to go. I'm not preaching, I'm just sharing because I have been there and done that and would love to re-do much but that's not possible. But I can do what I can today and part of that is to share my experiences with you, and perhaps, help you to avoid some of those traps that are being set even as I write this blog. God will help us but we have to seek Him and that requires .... what class? Our time and our attention! No. I am not passing a plate today but I'll keep that in mind. Have a great work week and may God bless each one. Amen.              .....More later.

No comments: