Friday, October 29, 2010

I'll have some of those rose colored glasses now. Thanks!

Welcome to rose colored glasses Friday on this October 29, 2010. The rose colored glasses idiom implies an individual who views things through a set of lenses that makes them appear to be more pleasant than they really are. You would know by now that if anyone is a committed realist, then I plead guilty, however, this doesn't mean we have to be running around like Mrs. Henny Penny crying everywhere that the sky is falling. That old illustration comes to mind. The little boy sat on the floor playing and he could see the bottom of the crochet hoops where his mom was busy stitching away. Having looked several times at all the messed up knots and colors he finally jumped up and asked his mom how in the world it could be anything worth looking at. She smiled and gently turned the hoop to the other side and he was shocked to see a most beautiful scene. That, in many ways, describes our view as we attempt to make sense out of all that happens in our lives. But, as believers, we know Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story." And, that my friend infuses our reality with hope and some spiritual rose colored glasses, where we can live based on the beauty of the unseen. No. I am not making this up. Here's exactly what God wanted us to know as He inspired the Apostle Paul: "Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2nd Corinthians 4:16-18)

One of the things that has characterized my working life has been my willingness to confront challenges as they are. This can be risky and it has proven to be just that for me in a number of situations. Declaring that the emperor is not wearing any clothes may expose reality, but typically, just so you know, I learned that the emperor is not always pleased with the person doing the declaration. When I did work as a consultant my summary of what was going on within the department I was evaluating went like this: The people leading this group are either incompetent or asleep at the wheel. Statements like this were sprinkled throughout my assessment. Some of the top management were shocked by what I said. I guess I never received the memo on proper consultant protocols. At the same time I had many key executives who told me while they had never read a report that was so candid, it was not only clear but also refreshing in its directness. What had I tried to do? Get ready for a real surprise. It was only to tell the truth as best as I could determine it, period, end of story. When word got out to the rank and file managers about the incompetent or asleep comments, they concluded I was there to destroy them so I could take over. Their view was my work was a power play, therefore, I assume they neglected to pay any attention to the details behind my findings. The head guy thought I was bargaining to get his job. Guess what? Very soon after the report I was offered his job but they all went into shock when I chose not to take it. In the end, my recommendations were followed, the program was reorganized and revitalized, with new management of course, and they were able to get back on track. Thank you to my Grandfather McMillan who always taught me that a man's word is his bond.

My work on that project had nothing to do with a predisposition towards gotcha analysis. They had spent huge sums of money with little to no results to show for it, and as my former Vietnamese coworker used to say: "Because why?" They were either incompetent or asleep at the wheel. Sometimes when we let our yes be yes and our no be no even as the Bible instructs us, it can be misunderstood as coming across negative, mean spirited, and pessimistic.(See Matthew 5:37) Truth has a way of causing this type of reaction sometimes. Maybe it has become so odd to have folks who tell the truth that it kind of shocks people when they hear it. Again, this doesn't mean we should come off like a prophet of doom. We have the truth on our side, therefore, we should be honest but also hopeful at the same time, optimistic because of our being able to see the unseen. We are entitled to wear our faith enabled spiritual rose colored glasses because we know that on the other side of the messy and tangled hoop there's the reality of God and His provision for us. I quote again from my grandfather's favorite song: "I don't know about tomorrow but I know who holds my hand." What a week this has been. It's been quite taxing on an old fellow like myself but I sometimes look at all that God has allowed me to be involved in, and the fact that I'm able to get up and get with it each day, causes me to be humbled by His grace and mercy extended to me. Amen. Those who feel they must drag the black cloud around with them might be interested in the original Darth Vadar costume. It will be auctioned off soon with a minimum expected of $250,000. Might as well look the part. Right? Now I want each of you to enjoy your Saturday and if possible join others at the meeting place where we honor our resurrected Lord on Sunday, and then I'll try to have something for you early on Monday morning. For those who are still trying to make a sign on that mirror, it wasn't supposed to be a marathon test, okay? See you next time.                     ......More later.

No comments: