Thursday, May 27, 2010

We see flip flops and the other guy thinks flop flop!

Okay. It is Thursday, May 27, 2010 and I have been rather quiet about the stuff going on in our country this week. I believe in getting all sides of the story including different points of view about a particular issue that seems pretty clear to me. When I am out and about on behalf of the company I listen to the radio as I travel here and there. One of my favorite stations is one that is located in the heart of the African American community. They have a talk format in the mornings and it is very interesting to hear black people calling in and giving their take on all things political. They have every reason in the world to be proud of President Obama. The general consensus reflected in their calls is how President Obama is for the most part mistreated because white Republicans are against him because of the color of his skin. They see most of the issues through this prism. Even if the moderator tries to move the conversation to at least thinking about what principles are involved, they will not have any of it. No doubt some of these callers are good, God fearing people who live based on conservative values but they are blinded by what they believe to be their plight and their experience. We who are white, conservative, and God fearing are often just as guilty in not being able to ferret out truth. I recently voiced some critical comments about former President George W. Bush and it was very offensive to the person I was talking to. Why? He is one of us. He prays every day. He did his best. All of those things might be true but this does not mean he shouldn't be held accountable for his policies and the things that happened on his watch.

One of the most interesting things in listening to this radio station is the way in which all events are interpreted. Essentially, whether it is local or national, nearly everything is viewed through the lens of the 'black experience'. The other day callers were lamenting over the immigration situation. They cannot believe that Mexico does anything at all to discourage illegal entry into our county. One caller pointed out that back when the Iron Curtain was still around, those communist countries knew how to keep their people at home. They shot them if they tried to leave. He was not advocating shooting people, he was just pointing out that Mexico could at least try and keep their people at home. Many called and said this infiltration of illegal immigrants was hurting impoverished blacks more than anyone else. They now fear that with the huge numbers already here, the political power of black Americans will be diminished when they are granted amnesty. This is the only issue I heard them break ranks with President Obama over. They know he wants what will become a majority of Democratic 12 to 15 million votes, but they wonder out loud if he understands how detrimental this could be to the black community.

I will not do the President Clinton, "I feel your pain." But I come away from listening to these people on a number of occasions with a realization of how many things go into how we see the world. I actually get a sense of why they feel the way they do, even if I do not agree with their conclusions. Last Saturday I was privileged to be one of the people invited to speak at the groundbreaking for a new Church facility in the inner city. This ministry is 90% made up of blacks. Their pastor, a black man, is one of my closest friends. If I precede him in death I would love for him to preach at my home going service. We have co-labored together for some 12 years in the Bible club ministry. I have filled his pulpit many times. I love his people. They love me. No doubt many of them share many of the views of those who call in each day to that black radio station. What can help us all, red and yellow, black, brown, and white to see truth? It is only when we allow The Scriptures to speak through the illuminating ministry of God the Holy Spirit that we move from a subjective approach based on what I think and feel, to an objective approach which mirrors the principles found in God's Word. What a great honor it was for me to be with them on this special occasion. I told them the ground was not holy because of anything having to do with the dirt. It is consecrated and holy because of the truth of God that will be heralded to reach out to men, women, boys, and girls who need Christ. There is coming a day when all these racial distinctions will be a thing of the past. What a day that will be! Amen. .....More later.

PS. Just so you know, I am my own one and only proof reader, therefore, there are times when I misuse a word and may even misspell some as well. The spell checker helps but it can never detect when one substitutes a rightly spelled word that is wrong to begin with. Some days I have more time than on others but I always do my best to send out a quality product, not necessarily with quality content, but one that does meet a minimum standard of appropriateness. Lately I've been a little rushed and it shows but I will keep on trying!

No comments: