Monday, May 31, 2010

Please don't leave a salad out for Santa, he already knows he has a weight problem!

Good Monday morning on this final day of May 2010. I am enjoying my three day weekend and still thinking about the special service we had at our local Church to honor those who serve and sacrifice in the armed forces of our nation. I think I told my wife that maybe I could use this time off to get caught up on some rest. What a joke! I hear people say all the time how they hope they can make it to the weekend so they can get caught up on their sleep. I don't want to burst any bubbles here but I don't think sleeping late on Saturday will help what happened last Monday. However, if we think that it does, there's likely some of those endorphin thingies that get released and suddenly we think we have been a little rejuvenated, therefore, we are. If anyone has any idea about what I just said please let me know. My mixed up logic does tend to get me in trouble from time to time. The other day I asked someone since necessity is the mother of invention, does that make invention the child of necessity and if so, is it a boy or girl? Don't think too much about that one or you will not be able to get caught up on that sleep you were hoping to recover!

Have you ever forgotten who you were when you are talking to someone? No, I haven't gone off the deep end but I did have a funny situation that happened the other day. Back in December when I was doing the Santa gig, I worked with a very nice lady who did the picture taking. She is a very attractive woman who favors Vanna White. The other day I spotted her in the grocery store and approached her. I said, "Hello, I think I know you." She responded, "Pardon? What did you say? Who are you?" I told her, "I am Santa Claus." She looked worried and then said, "Sure you are, what is it that you want?" I then said, "Hey, don't you remember me? You took the photos over at the Chick-Fil-A last December." Suddenly she turned about four shades of purple and then she regained her composure, "I am so sorry but I didn't have a clue." I apologized for startling her and we then visited for a few minutes and talked about family and she told me she sure hoped we could work together again in the upcoming season. Now here's the funny thing: She never saw me even once in street clothes. How would she ever had been able to recognize me without the big beard, the suit, the boots, the padding, and the whole shebang? Some days my own stupidity can even catch me by surprise!

We recently completed our journey through Genesis in my Sunday Bible study class. This was a verse by verse examination of this profound Book that we began back in January of 2009. I am currently doing some reflections on the major themes we have covered but this study turned out to be one of the most remarkable learning experiences for myself, and by their own admission, for others as well. We were awed as we attempted to take in the creation account as told to Moses via inspiration of The Creator. We became acquainted with so many folks, beginning with Adam and Eve and ending up with Jacob and his twelve sons. What did we learn? Many things including how that God is Sovereign and He has a plan and purpose and He works that plan and purpose through people. We learned that He is faithful even when His own are not. We learned that our actions and reactions effect not only ourselves but it influences and impacts our family, sometimes for generations to come. I will also tell you this: There is only one way to really apprehend the truths from Genesis. BY FAITH. Here's the best rendition of the reality of what we must have if we are to grow as a result of our study in Genesis: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible." (Hebrews 11:1-3) That's it. That's the only way we can get hold of the truth God has given to us. Think about it. Pray about it. And, have a great day as we thank God for His goodness to us all! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: