Thursday, May 6, 2010

Some think I read the obituaries to make sure my name is not there yet!

It is Thursday, May 6, 2010 and I have a very uplifting subject for you today: DEATH. That's right: DEATH. Most of you know that I glance through dozens of obituaries each day. The brief summaries of people's lives just knock me down. The stats say nearly 7,000 folks die each day in our country. That would be 7,000 unique stories. Moms, dads, children, and even infants, but every one of them with their very own story to tell. Some have only one or two lines written about them. Others go on and on and on. They reflect the American story and come from every walk of life because death is no respecter of persons and last time I checked it is a 100%, one to one ratio. I remember a few years ago reading about a couple who had been married for nearly seventy years. They died of natural causes within hours of each other and their obituaries were written together. It essentially was the ending of a love story. I was so impressed by this testimony of love and devotion that I actually printed it and read it to my Bible study class the next Sunday.

You cannot help but be impressed with the accomplishments of folks who have applied themselves and their talents and resources. Many have built great companies, or helped discover breakthroughs in medicine and technology. Their write-ups almost read like a resume that highlights their many achievements. Some are highly decorated war veterans who answered the call of their nation. Sadly, I read far too many who are young and die due to accidents or violent situations. The professional associations written about reflect the myriads of interests, educational backgrounds, and opportunities that exist in our great country. From every walk of life; the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, as well as the doctor, the lawyer, the student, the caretaker, and homemaker, and so many others that fill up page after page of what it means to complete life's journey here.

I will tell you that I enjoy some of the obituaries that I read. Enjoy? You betcha! Those that reflect on a life of service to God and to others are inspirational. My personal favorites are those that say the person died, surrounded by family and friends, with a great expectation of seeing their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I'll take those any day compared to the list of worldly accomplishments that have little to say about faith, family, or service to God. I've read a few that were actually written by the person who died. Since most people have to pay these days to place an obituary, why not have a personal final word of encouragement and testimony? Now I have been called morbid for my interest in reading these death notices. But I will commend to each of us this truth: Our lives count. They influence and impact others. That influence and impact can live on even as God took notice of the heroes of faith as mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 11. The question for me and for you is what kind of testimony are we building that will fill up the words said about us after we leave this life. May God help us to have a life pleasing to Him that writes its on message while we are here, and continues to speak after we are gone. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: