Thursday, May 20, 2010

Plop Plop Fizz Fizz.....but still No Relief!

Are you dizzy yet from all the spinning going on around you? I'm talking about how really bad news can be made into really good news for one group while really good news can somehow be made into really bad news for the other guys. As the late Mr. Cronkite used to say, "And that's the way it is on this Thursday, May 20, 2010. I know you get tired of hearing me say it, but folks, you really can't make this stuff up. Take for instance the fellow up in Connecticut running for the US Senate who is the darling of the liberal media but he has been found to have lied for several years about his military service. He was in the military but he has said on many occasions that he actually served in Vietnam but he never left the states. If you are the darling of the left wing media, how would they report this example of downright lying? The mother ship of all liberal news children is the New York Times. Their headline on this story said something about how his comments differed with history. Maybe that's why he has decided to stay in the race, at least for now, by saying he had misplaced some words at different times concerning his military service. You have to love it. From President Clinton's essay on how one defines the word 'is', to all the administration's top people criticizing the new Arizona immigration law but saying they've never even read it, to this guy taking responsibility, not for lying to his constituents, but rather, for using misplaced words like this: "You veterans are heroes that remind me of when I served our country in Vietnam."

My wife would gladly say she was unaware of any of these details. I can assure you she is not spinning the truth when she says that. She is a remarkable woman but very comfortable not being in the know on all these trivialities. It has to be a mom thing or something but she hates when I'm watching a commentary program and they began arguing and throwing heated comments forth and back. Occasionally, I stop the channel surfer on wrestling just to aggravate her. She, at first, tries to ignore the idiocy on the screen. But within 60 to 90 seconds she will let me have it, "Surely you don't intend to watch this garbage, do you?" I feign interest but yield and allow my fingers to do the walking in search of something we both can watch. When we run out of options I land it on the Game Show Network and then I get up to find something else to occupy my time. I actually enjoy her enjoying watching what she wants to watch. She is different than I am and I believe that's a good thing. I know we all are conditioned these days to say our wife or husband is our best friend. My wife is not my best friend. I would never relegate her to that status. She's much more than a friend to me. I'm not saying I achieve it very often but she deserves a level of love from me as exemplified by our Savior giving Himself up on a cross for His Bride, The Church. Therefore, she can watch "Family Feud", "Let's Make a Deal" or "Match Game" until the cows come home and it's okay with me! What's that you say? Would I be willing to watch them with her? That will take some praying but I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Some of you probably think I am a Fox News only guy. To tell the truth, I almost never watch Fox News. I can get much more by watching CSPAN, the PBS News Hour, and other internet based sources than in trying to watch a channel selling itself as fair and balanced. It does require that one engage and do something my granddad always told me: "Son, use your head for something other than a hat rack (more like a cap today)." That's right. Don't let other folks make up your mind for you regardless of what tag they wear. For too many years most of us who have tried to embrace values consistent with our faith have played the pragmatism game. This has caused us to vote for the lesser of evils even when a choice was available for a candidate closer to our convictions but thought to be unable to win. There may be times when I will pull a lever or punch a button on this basis but it will no longer be my approach. I am going to always vote for the candidate who best represents the values that are consistent with my faith, period, end of story, no matter the party, affiliation, or the so called stigma of throwing my vote away. The vote in our country is supposed to be sacred and to me this means that my vote counts because my conscious counts and my responsibility matters. The other night my wife was watching "Deal or No Deal!" and I will tell you the contestant couple would have had to lose weight to qualify to sign up for the "Biggest Loser" show. I actually was more focused on whether the platform was going to survive when they were jumping up and down than on the program itself. And, no, I am not a watcher of the "Biggest Loser" but my wife used to watch it and I've seen and heard enough about it to get the idea behind the plot. Just wanted to clear that up so you want be tempted to start any bad rumors about me. It's a joke. Lighten up a little. It's okay to smile. There's probably no one watching you any way, and it will do you some good! Have a blessed day! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: