Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

It is Friday, May 7, 2010, and we will be remembering our moms in a special way this coming Sunday. God's plan for men and women obviously included moms and dads. In the regular KJV Bible, mother is mentioned over 300 times. Given the fact that I have been surrounded by a huge number of wonderful women, many who were Godly moms, it's no wonder I am filled up with admiration and respect that they richly deserve from me. I believe George Washington to be one of the primary men chosen through the providence of God to help found and establish our republic. George Washington credited his dear mother and her influence on his life as the primary reason he went on to achieve all that he achieved. He may have gone a little overboard but those of us who have been privileged to have a great mom can identify with his sentiment. They tell us that over 95% of Americans will do something to celebrate this coming Sunday by recognizing their mom. The Saturday before Mother's Day is the 2nd largest gift purchasing day next to the Christmas shopping frenzy. Deserved? I think so and even more. I have a great mom. I live with a great mom. Her mom was a great mom and her grandmothers were also. My mom's mom was a tremendous influence in my life. I hope you are getting my drift here. Moms matter. They matter to God and they matter to the human family He designed them to nurture.

Here are a few quotes, proverbs, and thoughts about moms: Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love. Mildred B. Vermont..... The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. Carrie Latet..... An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. Spanish Proverb..... My mom is a never ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. Graycie Harmon..... Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible. Marion C. Garrety..... All that I hope to be I owe to my angel mother. Abraham Lincoln..... Every beetle is a gazelle in the eyes of its mother. Moorish Proverb..... Mother was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries. T. Dewitt Talmage..... That best academy, a mother's knee. James Russell Lowell..... Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world, a mother's love is not. James Joyce..... A little girl, asked where her home was, replied, "where mother is." Keith Brooks..... A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people announces she never did care for pie. Tenneva Jordon

What kind of response does God expect from us towards the wonderful moms He has given to us? "Honor your father and mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged and that it may go well with you on the land which the Lord your God gives you. (Deuteronomy 5:16) Later the Apostle Paul emphasized this same commandment and it's associated blessing here in Ephesians 6:2 "Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise)." Does God care about how we respond to our mother? He most certainly does and we find ourselves doing His will when we rise up to bless and honor her! Happy Mother's Day to my dear mother, my wife, and the huge number of moms that have helped me in the past and those that continue to surround my life today! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: