Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thank You Lord!

Greetings from my world to yours on this Tuesday, May 11, 2010. This past weekend was a whirlwind of activities for me but they were the kind of stuff that will do a body good. I was up very early Saturday morning for a run over to Louisiana to share breakfast with my wonderful mother. I suppose I have someone to thank or blame for always wanting to be early because I did get over there at least 30 minutes before my target. I exited the highway and drove up to the old cemetery were all our folks are buried. Even as I made my way around that old crooked road it brought back memories of the many trips our family made to that place. Some folks don't like to go to a cemetery because it reminds them of death. I suppose our family has been surrounded by death so long it seems very much a regular part of our life. Being there was like showing up at a family reunion. The memories are too vast and too special to recount but it did me good to stand and remember and thank God for so many who have meant so much to me. It also was a good time to recall the promise that one day we who know the Lord will be reunited with those who have preceded us. As I stood there before Granny and Paw Paw Mac's double headstone, the words inscribed reminded me of their way of life. Paw Paw Mac's was quoted from his favorite song: "I don't know about tomorrow but I know who holds my hand." Granny's had this theme: "The sun's coming up in the morning." My wife and I used to sing that very song for Granny and she loved it because her faith embodied her belief that God would take care of it all, one day at a time.

After visiting there for a while I wiped my eyes and continued to my destination, my home place. My sister has recently moved back into her home, the one previously occupied by Granny and Paw Paw Mac. Talk about history! This is where we moved back in 1954 after dad died suddenly. Walking around in that place reminded me of how blessed we were to have somewhere to go and someone to take us in. Then it came time to do what we typically do when we get together and Dad had prepared his normal huge breakfast and we enjoyed such a wonderful time of feasting and fellowship. I don't think Mom has ever looked more radiant. I told her that while she might be 86, to me she didn't look a day older than 60. She thinks me coming over there for a turn around is a big deal. Good! She thinks I have set aside other stuff to come and honor her. Good! Why? Because I want her to feel that way. Honored because she is my mom. Beloved because she is. As for me and the little effort required, hey, what will these few hours mean over the long haul when I get to show one more time how much she means to us children? What a wonderful day and what a blessing to go back home, one more time.

Having returned from my trip, I then set myself to making sure my bride for these nearly 46 years enjoyed her day of honor. She was able to see everyone of her children, grandchildren, and our little great grand, our bundle of Madelyn Joy. She received cards and gifts galore. Sunday night I asked how her mother's day had gone. She said it was one of the best ever and that's exactly what I had hoped for. Sunday morning I went to one of the grocery store flower shops to purchase some roses to award to certain mothers during our Church service. It was a little after 8 a.m. and the place was rocking. Half asleep men were bumping into each other trying to grab this and that along with some donuts to carry back home. It was chaotic and I was surprised by the crowd but I suppose better late than never. One fellow was telling the flower lady about how this was not only Mother's Day for his wife, it was also their 36th anniversary together. He had a huge arrangement and seemed very excited about getting it to his wife. I couldn't help but think how blessed I am because that dude looked older than me but he was 10 years behind me in his marriage. Now for the icing on the cake, I am able to sit here and recall these wonderful blessings. Visiting and remembering my folks out at Beckom Cemetery; Seeing my mom and dad; Visiting with my sister; and then enjoying my wife and family. Thank you Lord for the handfuls you so graciously hand down to us! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: