Monday, August 17, 2009

You must be kidding. A Santa suit in a size small?

It's Monday, August 17, 2009 and since I have only the life I have to write about, that's what you have before you today! It may take me a week to get over the birthday binge of food, family, and fellowship that began last Friday and ended when we shut down Sunday night. Our eldest grandson, Jimmy Jr., came and spent Friday night with us and he and I spent Saturday running here and there. We made our journey to the professional costume place and checked out the Royal Deluxe Santa suit. Supposedly this outfit is the one you see in the movies when someone plays Santa. In fact, the fellow at the store said that John Goodman had ordered that same suit for a movie where he played a Santa. The retailer also told me that if I waited to purchase this same outfit into September or October the price could easily double. Sounded to me like he was trying too hard! At any rate, it was very odd trying the suit on. First of all I told him I needed the smallest one they had. He made a joke about being Santa isn't typically about being small. He told me they came in large, extra large, and extra, extra large. Therefore, large it was. I put on the tummy stuffer which ties in three places in the back, then the coat and the hat. Suddenly, without warning I was transported back to that year that I was a department store Santa. The weight is surprisingly very heavy and the sweat was immediate but it was THE LOOK I was seeking, therefore, I purchased it, against the advice of my wife and mom who think I am already over scheduled. I'm in no big hurry about it all. My beard may have grown a couple of inches since I came home with the suit. Coincidence, or is the magic of Christmas already at work? Little Jim and I had a blast and I will always treasure our time together.

On Sunday morning I started my day by hearing a sweet birthday greeting from my mom and dad. Our Truth Seeker's Class had a fellowship breakfast and they honored me with many cards and kind words. I will never get over how humbling it is to have a gift given to me from God so that I might be able to teach the unsearchable riches from His Holy Word. I give God the praise for His working in me through this bestowed gift. I heard a preacher say one time that if you have been given a gift from God there should be someone who can confirm it. In my situation the words expressed on those cards are not only appreciated but they do give reason for us all to thank God. Yes, I do study and spend time preparing. Yes, it does require time, effort, and discipline. But I will take God's gift which shows itself when it comes time to read and present the truth any day over any type of concentrated lesson preparation. In the end, I thank them for their recognition of my role in our sojourn together but I also point myself and them to the God who has brought us together and enabled us to hear from Him. He desires us to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Savior and He has orchestrated teaching to be one of the ways in which this is to be pursued and accomplished.

The breakfast was tremendous and it began my total disregard for being as careful as I should be regarding what to eat. One lady was kind enough to bake a low sugar cake and there was plenty of fruit and other reasonable choices. However, there was also other choices. Pigs in a blanket, a variety of egg souffles, quiches, and sweets galore. I didn't throw caution completely to the wind but I also sampled more than I would have otherwise. It was great! Then it was home and an afternoon of NASCAR and the PGA Golf Championship while my dear wife of nearly forty-five years literally stood over a hot stove for five or six hours. When talking about my birthday I will just put it like this: How about southern fried chicken that would have made the Colonel resign before he even thought about some special recipe? Add to this, mashed potatoes and gravy, purple hull peas, fried okra, mustard greens, corn on the cob, and Granny Mac's cornbread. And the best part of all: Twenty of my most favorite people in the world serenading me with their happy birthday song and their hugs and kisses. Can it get better than this? The only way it could is to think about that old song: Just Over in the Glory land! Today, it is back to looking at a very big number on my finger prick this morning. It will probably be Wednesday before I have everything back on track but I will always be thankful for and never forget the great 63rd provided to me through the grace of God! Have a blessed week! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: