Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Can you believe it? My doctor actually called me!

Today is Wednesday, August 19, 2009. Tonight my lesson will begin with these words from Psalm 119:89 “Forever, Oh Lord, Your word is settled in heaven.” Now, that my friend, is a powerful truth to dwell on as we live at a time when we need something to hang onto. The eternal God, with no beginning and no end, whose word can be counted on, for it, like Himself, is eternal! Okay, as I recently wrote, I had been fretting over not hearing from my doctor’s visit and most recent lab tests. Last Thursday evening as I sat in my glider/rocking chair watching the news my cell phone rang. It was my doctor. Hello? It was actually my doctor. He wanted to go over my reports and we had a brief but beneficial visit. The numbers were all very good and I took the opportunity to express my sincere appreciation to him for his good work on my behalf. There was a very long pause and then he mumbled something about how I had cooperated with his approach and this is what happens whenever we work together and blah, blah, blah. Then he continued. He then told me that it is now time for us to go to the next level. Huh? Next level? He then proceeded into another of his dietary lectures about getting me off of all flour and eventually seeing me on an “all grain” diet, whatever that means.

I’ve told you before that he is 7th Day Adventist and they practice the Old Testament Jewish dietary system. He is a recognized expert within his religion on the so-called lost tribes of Israel. Okay. Let me be clear. I am so thankful to my doctor for getting me to where I am but this next level deal, I’m not so sure that will end up being my cup of tea. I wished I had thought of a joke to tell him while I had him on the phone because I thought of it after I hung up. I should have told him that while I don’t know which lost tribe I am from, I’m almost certain my mom was not descended from the ‘all grain’ tribe. He would have not thought that to be so funny but I hope I can remember it for my next visit. I am interested in getting off some of the medications I am taking but moving towards another radical dietary change, having already undergone some fairly cataclysmic adjustments, is quite a daunting prospect.

I told my wife if she comes home one day and sees me out in the yard grazing she will know that I have officially joined the lost tribes dietary system. I would hate to know the neighbors might call the police because they had seen me going behind the squirrels to dig up their acorns. This new wrinkle that he wants to discuss more fully with me in thirty days promises to be very challenging. I can tolerate his desire to engage me in theological discussions, and I can listen to his views on why we all are being poisoned by the processed foods we eat. But I am very much certain that we as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ are no longer under the rituals associated with the Law. This doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t follow sound guidelines in our diet but to him it is a part of his religion and that will be a very difficult matter for me. But, we will wait and see. I still count it a privilege to work with a doctor who called me on my cell phone and chatted with me like I was almost a regular person. Fancy that! Me, a regular person? NOT!!!! Put all those thoughts of nibbling on nectarines out of your mind and go ahead and have a wonderful day. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: