Friday, August 7, 2009

Visions of Sugar Plums!

Good Friday to you on this August 7, 2009. My comment about my new photo showing me to be Santa-in-training may not be a joke. I have been thinking about doing it again. I do have a background in Santa-ology, having played along with him being the provider of gifts at my house for a number of years, and because I actually helped him out one year by being 'him' at the Sears store nearly 40 years ago. My how times have changed. Back then I needed everything to make myself into the jolly old elf. Today all I need is the uniform and the stomach pillow and I would be good to go. I've done some checking and a really good Santa outfit typically is around $300.00, and yes, they do sell that belly prop but I'm almost certain that it would not shake like a bowl full of jelly. I have thought about teaming up with a professional photographer to do special Santa pictures or even work part time at a department store again, or even doing volunteer work at some of the hospitals or other places where children need to be entertained and encouraged.

As I am writing today's blog I have Christmas music playing on an internet station. Right now Andy Williams is doing the "The 12 Days of Christmas". What would a Santa blog be without Andy Williams, right? Come to think about it, I do remember how hot that uniform was. I also remember how wonderful most of the children were BUT their parents, especially their moms, oh my! They had somehow gotten the spirit of Saint Nick mixed up with the spirit of wanting perfect portraits out of a Polaroid instant camera set up. Elvis is now on doing "Silver Bells". Now would be the time to be thinking about this since we only have 140 days, 19 hours, and 30 seconds until December 25, 2009! The Drifters are now singing their wonderful version of "White Christmas". Yes, Virginia there is a website that counts down the seconds until Christmas. I knew you would be interested in knowing that. In addition to all of these things, Christmas is a most wonderful time of the year for me. It, of course, gives us an opportunity to thank God for His Gift that arrived and was placed in Bethlehem's manger, none other than our Savior, Christ the Lord!

I might have to use some white shoe polish on my eyebrows and do a little touch up here and there but because of the ravages of time, it would not take much! Right now they have a big band from back in the 1940's playing some holiday favorites. I do love those big band sounds. I could maybe do this again as long as I would never, under any conditions, have to listen to any Christmas music recorded by the Jackson Five. That was the only tape they used at Sears the year I worked as Santa. I put in a number of 12 hour days on Saturdays. Do the math. I'm actually not sure what might happen if one of those songs started unexpectedly. It might just trigger an involuntary Santa-rage incident. Just kidding. I think. I hope. Burl Ives is now doing some of his songs from the "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" album. Good stuff. Good memories. Christmas thoughts in August. Why not? Have a great Saturday and Sunday and at this time I leave you with this farewell: Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: