Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tis the season, it's Ho Ho Ho and away we go!

It's Tuesday, August 25, 2009 and I am thankful to be here clacking away on the old keyboard. Last Friday evening while enjoying a supper snack at the mall food court with my youngest son, my wife, (on her lunch break), and our sweet Lexie and Brady, they asked about the Santa in training program. I told them I was much closer than they might think. They shrugged and feigned some skepticism; therefore, I decided to show my progress. I pulled off my cap and fluffed out my hair and beard. I did get their attention and they smiled their approval. Suddenly, without any warning, a very young Hispanic girl, eyes popping out, pulled her mom down to her and said, “Look Mommy, it’s Santa Claus!” I went over to their table and told them she was very accurate because I was in fact preparing to portray the jolly old elf this coming season. The moms all laughed and the children just stared. Our son said, “Well, Pop, looks like the magic has already begun!” As we were walking away I saw that little girl again and she was still spellbound as she waved her little hand of goodbye to Santa. Pumped? You better believe it! Today’s Santa photos of yours truly were taken by my wife, this past Sunday afternoon, and they will give you an idea of where we are headed.

My wife still carries some concern about this character calamity but as I told her, we are going to crawl before we walk. This season is going to be a ‘get acquainted’ tour of sorts so that I can see how it might go if and when I decide to pursue a more aggressive schedule. I still have the ultimate goal of doing hospital volunteer work but that may be a feature of season number two. It is about the children and we had a wonderful sleep over with our little Brady. His sister Lexie decided at the last moment to go home with her dad but Brady came and stayed with us and we had a ball. They tell a lot of stuff on this boy but isn’t it strange that these things never seem to materialize when they are at MiMi’s and Poppy’s house? He was nothing but a joy; very courteous, very calm, and like his daddy, very FUNNY! Some of the stuff he says just knocks you down but that most likely is the grandpa mentality kicking in. Some of you know how it goes, truth is, it doesn’t take much!

On Saturday afternoon we met up with the parents over at a volleyball tournament where our Kyleigh’s high school team were playing. They had been undefeated until we walked in the door. We saw Kyleigh fire off a killer serve but to no avail as the other team whipped up on them pretty good. It was a very short exhibition for us but we were glad to be able to see her play. Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday were filled up with enjoying grandchildren, trying out my Santa training wheels, teaching my Bible class, and enjoying spending time with MiMi. All our bunch were back in school on Monday and we had a special prayer for each one early Monday morning. I talked to Lil Jimmy Sunday night and encouraged him to make this year a great one in terms of applying himself. I also told him he could be sure that his Poppy would be praying for him, his sisters, and all the rest of our grand kids, each and every day. He mumbled something and then we said goodnight. The life of a Poppy is a special gift from God and I thank Him for it! Have a great day and may God bless! Amen. …..More later.

No comments: