Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's a very funny world we live in, don't you think so?

Good morning and welcome to my field trip report from the medical facility visit with my wife last week. I had other pressing stuff that came up, therefore, I apologize for any delay in my reporting since I told you I would try to bring back some tidbits and that’s what I have for you today, on this Tuesday, August 18, 2009. My wife had the very earliest appointment for her stress test. That’s a good thing because everyone waits at the same speed but being first means you will be the least late compared to others. Being first has little to do with timeliness but it is a procedural win that counts for something. When we arrived there were no people in the waiting area which seats about 50. There was an interesting video running on the TV screen about health related matters. Dr. Sanjay Gupta from CNN was hosting the program. It was highly informative the first time I saw it. Not as much the second through the fourth running, and pretty annoying by the time we left, as it had looped back around for the 5th or 6th time. Even though I moved around I could still hear it and because those images were burned into my memory I could still see every frame without seeing it. If I wasn’t so perturbed by it all I would share some the data with you but that will have to wait for another time.

I was not feeling hopeful when I first got there but then I spotted it. It was like an oasis being spotted out in the middle of the desert. A coffee service and it had a huge banner with this wonderful slogan: COMMUNITY. You better believe it. Community coffee! At least these folks know their coffee. I do believe I was the very first to tap into that morning nectar and as it hit the cup the smell alone was enough to make being there seem almost a pleasure. After that, staff began to roll in. People who came to have a variety of procedures flowed in and they reflected men, women, boys, and girls. A couple of African American boys came with their grandmother and their mom. The grandmother came for an appointment and I seized the opportunity to try out my Santa skills on the two boys. They were a little hesitant at first but I persisted and they warmed up to me. I talked some to their mom about the ministries I am involved in and we had a good visit. I later tried to make contact with a cotton haired boy and he snarled and growled at me. You can’t win them all.

We were there for nearly four hours. The place continued to be busier and busier. There were lots of staff coming and going. Patients were coming to wait, and they waited, waited, and then they waited some more. I know we are in the middle of a debate about health care in this country. I know there are many serious issues that do need attention. However, I do not think that one of them is the lack of food available to the folks who work at this particular medical facility. I am not being critical, just telling the truth. I don’t believe I have ever seen that many jumbo-sized medical smocks anywhere I have ever been! It seemed to be almost a requirement. Every once in a while a slender technician would come by and it made me want to jump up, grab them, and warn them about what would soon be happening to them. President Obama said we have to do something as a nation about eating more healthy and in trying to work on the obesity problem that is epidemic throughout our land. Hello? I’m not picking on these folks because I have spent a fair amount of time in my life carrying my own extra baggage. However, it did stand out as one considers their access to medical advice every day they come to work. We finally got everything wrapped up and she was a little woozy from her fasting therefore we did what all good folks our age do when it's close to lunch time, we headed to Luby’s to join the old timers in line for the Lu Ann Platter. My wife will be getting her results today and we are thankful for the medical services we have available to us. I do pray that you and yours will have a blessed day. Amen. ...........More later.

No comments: