Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Worn Out At the End, But A Good Day, Nonetheless!

I had a great visit with my doctor yesterday. Why? Number one, he agreed with most of my assessment of where we are in the process and found a particular additional drug I asked about that will try to lower my critical blood glucose numbers even more. Secondly, we just had a good time talking. He is a very religious person of the Adventist faith and I have been known to talk some about the Bible myself. He has recently compiled 200 pages of a detailed study of the people mentioned in Matthew's Gospel and Luke's Gospel who make up the physical lineage of Jesus of Nazareth, our Savior and Lord. This study he had done prompted a lively discussion and I told him I would read it when he finished it. Lastly, the fact that we had no big new medical concerns to talk about made it much better. We laughed and enjoyed our meeting and he ordered up a blood test, wrote the one new prescription, and I will see him again in three months.

After finishing with him I returned to work and later on in the day it began to rain. There are times when it rains hard for a short period of time. There are times when the rain is just steady and that's what we had move into our area. It's still coming down very steady at 5 a.m. this morning. When I left work to drive into the city for our children's ministry program the traffic was ten times worse than normal because of the rain and slick roads. Just as I left my workplace I came up to the first traffic signal and a guy trying to turn in front of me slid about twenty feet past the signal. That's what a constant, steady rain will do.


I felt like I was dodging folks left and right but made it to our meeting place. We had only about twenty kids because of the rain but we had a wonderful time with them. We had to do our game time inside which typically means you will lose your hearing for a couple of days. There was no sunshine outside but the Son was shining inside and we were able to love, encourage, and counsel with a number of the children. Making my way home was another one of those driving deals where you hope you are where you are supposed to be because the big trucks were driving like it's perfect conditions and they were slinging water by the ton anywhere and everywhere.

Finally made it home and it was time for a quick snack, a handful of pills, a little local news to depress you before you try to go to sleep, and then off to bed. Another eighteen hour day of excitement, busy activity, and driving in extreme conditions, but when I lay my head down on my pillow I was thankful to have been a part of such a wonderful experience. Grateful to God and especially thankful for the sleep that comes whenever you are at peace with Him. Solomon wrote in his preserved journal, Ecclesiastes 5:12, these words: The sleep of a laboring man is sweet, Whether he eats little or much; But the abundance of the rich will not permit him to sleep. That kind of sleep is the best in the world! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: