Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Good To Be Back On A Regular Schedule!

After being off a wonderful eleven days for our Christmas break, it was truly wonderful to drive up to the gate to our business at 4:58 a.m., this morning. I've been fretting since after midnight anticipating getting up and getting back into a regular routine. Since I don't use an alarm clock I was actually concerned that I might not make my normal 3:30 a.m. wake up. I was up pretty early most days while being off but not in my regular get up and go groove. But guess what? I did get up and I'm thankful to be excited about this day that God has made! It's a cool 28 degrees here but a very bright, clear, and invigorating morning.

New year, new day, and another opportunity to pursue the calling that God has on my life. That's right. THE CALLING. Most of us think 'the calling' is only for those who become full time pastors, missionaries, or other Church workers. This is not a correct view at all. If you are a believer and have put your trust in Jesus Christ, then you have a relationship with Him and He has a calling on your life. Forget about the labels, full time as opposed to lay person, each believer is called to serve, and God has equipped each person with a unique talent, gift, or ability to fulfill their calling. Many don't pursue their calling because they just haven't learned the truth about it. In that famous meeting on the shoreline of Lake Galilee, Jesus asked Peter three different times if he loved Him. Each time Peter fumbled for an appropriate answer but Jesus responded each time with the same charge, "Peter, if you do love me, show it by taking care of my sheep, my lambs, my flock." That was the Apostle Peter's calling on his life. He had one and I have one and you do too. (see John chapter 21)

It's easy to say we haven't been given the ability to do something for the Lord in terms of giftedness. However, this can't be true because the Bible tells us that each one of His own has been given a specific gift in order to serve Him and the needs of those around them. (see 1st Corinthians chapter 12) When people ask me how to find out what they should be doing in response to the truth about God's gift in their life, I always tell them to get involved in ministry, seek God's direction for serving, and He will make it known to you. Being willing to serve anywhere at any time is a pretty good place to start in our pursuit of knowing exactly the special talent God has given to us.

In 2008, it is my desire to focus on the finish of my sojourn here. I'm not talking about death in the coming year although we are to live each day realizing that our lives are fragile and our time is short. I'm talking about being in the fourth quarter of my sojourn here and I desire to be able, with God's help, to say with the Apostle Paul, that I have fought a good fight, I have kept the faith, and I am now ready to go to my reward. (see 2 Timothy, Chapter 4) That's the kind of finish I desire, fully realizing it will take God's intervention and help if I am to achieve it. I also am aware that I have my race to run. (see Hebrews Chapter 12) I can't run your race and you can't run my race. However, we can encourage and pray one for another as we seek to fulfill all that God has placed before us! Let's make 2008 GREAT by committing ourselves to doing life God's way. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: