Thursday, January 24, 2008

Presidential Politics Fatigue

I've had jet lag a number of times and I know how it feels. But never have I been so exhausted from the political fatigue I'm already experiencing with this run up to the 2008 presidential election. On the Democratic side there appears to be chaotic mud slinging between the Clinton Machine and Barak Obama's team. For the Republicans, there's no one in the race that even causes me to show even a modicum of interest. This is sad because I believe our country needs a Ronald Reagan type to stand up and be counted. I would even love to pull for someone who didn't have a shot but who had the qualities I look for but I don't find anyone of this caliber on either side.

Even sadder, I can't really come up with a good name for a 'write-in' candidate. Some look forward to an independent showing up like the white knight to save the day but if it's Michael Bloomberg, well that would not be my idea of anything more than a liberal democrat dressed in a moderate suit and tie. I told my eldest son that I was thinking about doing a write in and he said that if I did I would be wasting my vote. But would I be wasting my vote? Since I believe I am not alone in my assessment of those who are currently seeking the nomination, my fear is that many of us will just sit out the election altogether. Both parties are counting on a surge at the end which is to vote for their person primarily to keep the other person from getting in. This would be in keeping with the motto, 'anyone but....' which will be a prominent theme in this contest.

We need a God fearing states person to step forward but I'm not sure we have too many of them around anymore. I'm not saying Ronald Reagan was perfect. But he stood for something as a symbol. He was an encourager and one who believed in the America that stood for our founders' vision. I noticed that Barak Obama said something nice about President Reagan the other day especially about his ability to inspire, and the Democrats responded by hurling virulent curses at him and for over a week he had to run for cover and explain and explain why he wasn't a fan of Reagan. Now I ask you, "Is this sad or what?"

No, I will not be putting Snoopy or Charlie Brown on my ballot, but I am beginning to understand why some people do this sort of thing. Meanwhile, I will continue to pray that God will have mercy on us and will provide the kind of leadership that will honor Him and serve the interests of all our people going forward. This past Tuesday we helped our Bible club kids memorize this verse from Jesus as recorded in Matthew 24, verse 35: "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words shall not pass away." I later prayed with four boys who actually perceived the meaning of this verse. They understood that whatever Jesus said was the truth and it could not be altered. Pretty good for youngsters, don't you think? Well, in the context of this political mess we find ourselves in, the Word of God is still the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Therefore, I can take a cue from those young boys who got it. God is in control and He will keep His word regardless of who becomes our next president. Thanks guys for reminding me of this truth. What is that we hear? "From the mouth of babes......" And so it goes. Have a good Thursday! ......More later.

1 comment:

unitybroth said...

I hear ya... they simply cannot help but to sling mud at each other. It is depressing. It is ridiculous. It is politics-as-usual and I, for one, am seriously tired of it.

We need real change. And, if I am going to vote for real change, then I want someone who understands how to run a business. I want someone who understands the economy. I want someone with leadership experience. I want someone that can build a team made up of the best minds, despite party affiliation, and provide direction for them to fix education, health care, immigration, social security, and the war.

Someone tell me how they are going to address these issues and on what time line they will be addressed.

Even though Bloomberg has not announced, at least he has said that he believes our country’s top priorities should be to help those that are in danger of losing their homes, finance immediate infrastructure projects, promote manufacturing jobs by putting a focus on innovation, invest in education and job training programs, and pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill that encourages workers to emigrate legally.

We've posted quite a bit of info about Mike at draftbloomberg.com and a petition to draft him for those that are interested.