Friday, January 25, 2008

Nothing Bad to Report.....YET!

I am doing my best to keep this diabetic deal in the background but it sure isn't easy. This past Wednesday I went to an ophthalmologist for an eye exam because my doctor has been hounding me to go since diabetes can do damage to your eyes. This lady doctor was very nice and pleasant and she explained how the greatest risk is something called retinopathy. They did all the testing and dilation and measuring and the infra red examination and then she said, "Well, you should be glad because I'll be sending your doctor a note to tell him there is no sign of any retinopathy damage at all". I swelled up with a good dose of feel good but discovered she was only in a pause when suddenly she added, "YET". Why couldn't she just leave well enough alone? I didn't need the 'yet' as part of her finding no damage at all.

That same evening when I came home from work I had a huge packet of information from our insurance company regarding a program they have available to help me manage my illness. According to the cover letter they will be taking an active role in providing me with information, support services, and ongoing monitoring of my developments going forward. While I am impressed with this proactive approach, it doesn't tend to help my desire to put all of this on the back burner. In addition to that, as I was thumbing through the booklet they sent, I saw a chapter that dealt with end of life issues. Now just a cotton pickin minute!

Then last night when I came in I had a letter from my doctor along with my recent lab results. Remember that little time release jewel I helped him come up with to further lower my glucose numbers? Well, according to the lab results I am doing so well I should stop taking it immediately and go back to the regimen I was on before. For crying out loud! Is there any end to my seemingly useless efforts of not allowing this blip on the radar screen of my life to become an obsession?

Okay, enough with the jokes already. All of the above is true but these events are primarily opportunities to give praise to Almighty God for helping me cope with this situation since last August. I was so proud of all my research and how I helped the doctor find that little 2.5 mg of Sulfonlyurea to help me, but the lab results say I don't need it......YET!!!!! To be honest, at first I was a little perturbed but when you think about it, in August I was diagnosed with full blown Type 2 diabetes, and today my numbers are very close to being in the non diabetic range. If someone would have told me I could have lost 35 pounds, changed my diet completely, and began drug therapy consisting of 12 pills a day, I would have most likely burped a big old "Blue Bell ice cream" laugh. But, with God's help, and I do give Him honor and praise for His help, and the support of my good wife, at this point and time I am again committed to making this situation a background issue. But meanwhile, I might as well enjoy the parts of it that I can! Laughter and medicine do go hand and hand. I do hope you all will have a wonderful weekend and that part of your plans will include assembling with God's people to hear God's message. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: