Monday, January 14, 2008

Medicine For My Bones!

After a week of stress, strain, and distress involved in the passing of our nephew Andy, we more or less were exhausted from it all. We returned from Louisiana Thursday night around 8:30 p.m. It's very unusual whenever I can't sleep but I suppose it was the replaying of all the events from the prior three days and I was still wide awake at midnight. Four o'clock came early and I didn't really feel like getting up and going but I did, making it into the office by 5:15 a.m.

I had plenty of odds and ends to catch up on, therefore, being busy was a good thing. When I left the office at 5 p.m. I was pretty well spent. I got to the house and sat down to watch the news and must have dozed off because at 7 p.m. my daughter-in-law called and said she had dropped Lil Jim and the twins off at the Church for game night and asked if I would like for her to bring Alex over to visit me until time to go and pick the kids up at 9 p.m.

The story goes that a stranger was visiting the blacksmith and was repeatedly warned not to touch the horseshoes being worked on because they were extremely hot. He picked one up and threw it down quickly. When asked whether it was hot or not he replied it wasn't that hot, it just didn't take him long to look at a horseshoe. Well, that's about how long it took me to do my best impression of Monty Hall as I told my daughter-in-law to "Come on down!"
Our Alex is two years old and I don't know if it was my emotional frame of mind or my imagination but I will tell you that he came and loved all over his Poppy and it was as if the heavens had opened and God Himself had sent help to me. We played and played and explored and explored. He is one of our grandchildren and they all in their own special way bring a sense of loving reality to this mixed up and confusing world we live in. I called my other daughter-in-law on my way home Friday and I could hear little Brady and our Lexie in the background. Those sounds were music to my heart.

The Bible says that a merry heart does good like medicine and it also says that children are a heritage from the LORD and the fruit of the womb is His reward. I'm sure my boys wish I would have learned this when they were younger but as they say, better late than never and in this case it just happens to be earlier than later because I've hopefully tried to demonstrate my understanding of these truths for the past twenty five years. I remember when our very first grandchild, Tiffany, was born. I was working at the big company and the hours and stress were grueling but what a blessing to often come home and find that little bundle of joy waiting to help take the pain away! Now that's what I call therapy!

Last Friday evening it came packaged with a prescription labeled Alexander Benjamin and oh what a wonderful outcome it achieved. May God bless us all as we seek to make progress in this life which is made up of the good, the bad, the ugly, but more than anything else the grace and blessings of our Great God. Have a great week! ...........More later.

No comments: