Monday, January 7, 2008

Can You Believe They Cancelled Emeril Live?

One of the Food Network executives said that after a ten year run and after having accomplished many milestones, all good things must come to an end. So, there you have it! BAM! Emeril Live will no longer be broadcast taped before a live audience. Emeril was the reason we began watching Food Network a number of years ago. I'm not saying it was the most outstanding entertainment on the tube but it was tolerable among the 100 channels that typically broadcast absolute mind numbing trash. Emeril became sort of our compromise when I had had all the Game Show Network I could stand and had begun to know all the contestants better than some in my own family. You see my wife loves the game shows but she would watch some of the programs on Food Network with me.

We do like to occasionally watch things together. She's not too much into watching Prime Minister question time from the British Parliament on CSPAN. I love watching it. That's one idea that I wish we had in this country, where the leader of our government, our president, had to come twice a week to the congress and answer questions about actions taken or not taken. She might stay with some of the political stuff for a very short period of time but for the most part she keeps it on Game Show Network. Of course she hates the nights given over to poker and that's typically when we watch some of the food shows. But, not anymore.

I wrote an email to the parent conglomerate, the E. W. Scripps Company and told them that while we are not their sought after demographic, we, nonetheless, have choices, and since they chose to cancel the person who built the Food Network into what it is today, then we had chosen to cancel our watching of their network. I am so certain that my email sent shock waves throughout their ivory tower! The response on the part of viewers, at least in the blogs and online newspaper articles, have been overwhelmingly angry over this cancellation. There are some who said they had heard some of Emeril's patented comments one time too many, but for the majority who responded, they were disgusted that a signature program with a real chef who actually knows about cooking and who actually built the network would no longer have his live program on the air.

Okay, that's not really that big of deal in the grand scheme of things but I do feel better having vetted my feelings about it. There's much more important things going on all around us every minute of the day. We have some very dear people in our family and in our Church family who are dealing with life threatening illnesses and some with great trials they are going through. At the same time we have others who are being blessed in a tremendous manner. Someone within our Church family recently was blessed to be able to contribute a huge amount that retired all the debts of our ministry. Wow! What a blessing! I thank God for His positioning them to where they would be able to do this, and then He gave them the heart to do it. It was done anonymously, therefore, I have no idea who it is but I rejoice in how God moves to accomplish His work here on earth.

As for those who are dealing with great challenges, we join them in seeking God's help just like we praise God for His blessings. The Bible tells us to rejoice with those who are rejoicing, and to suffer with those who are suffering. At times it's much easier to have sympathy for those who are hurting than to be excited and joyful over how God is blessing others. We are commended to have the same care, one for the other. I will get over the deal with Emeril and maybe I will be able to watch something as interesting as one of the symposiums on the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln like I did one day when I was home alone! Count your blessings wherever and whenever you find them! Amen. More later..............

1 comment:

Rodney said...

I heard later that he was not unhappy. He was tired of doing the show.