Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Doctor's Visit of the New Year

Everyone who knows me laughs when I tell them I have a doctor's appointment. They actually feel sorry for the doctor because they know I have thoroughly prepared myself to be involved in my own medical situation. Yes, I did pay a fee to read the online 100 plus page 2008 Johns Hopkins medical white paper on Diabetes. (I've read through it more than once.) I do have my checklist of items to be covered regarding the medications, dosages, the numbers I am seeing on my blood glucose checks, and other miscellaneous things I hope to discuss with my primary physician.

I will say this for my doctor, he has been more right than wrong regarding the way things have unfolded and the adjustments needed to control this disease. I know I am blessed that it is Type 2, and it is treatable, and I can, with God's help and old fashioned discipline, learn to live with it. One of the good things I learned from the white paper is to try to keep everything within a context of being reasonable by doing your best to work in the most simple way possible so that this challenge does not become an overwhelming obsession in your life. There's so much literature on this subject one could spend all their waking hours reading without really gaining much practical insight. There's also every kind of wonder drug and treatment known to humanity lurking on the pages of website after website, therefore, the basics remain the basics.

For me, it is keeping my weight down and managing my blood glucose counts. These two along with drugs for blood pressure and cholesterol have pretty much gotten me into a category of maintaining a "pre-diabetes" profile. This means my numbers are still slightly above normal but they are beneath the threshold for full blown diabetes. I now realize this would not be the case if I had not lost thirty five pounds and if I didn't take a handful of pills each day. To be honest, I'm still not happy about the pills but I am thankful that God has allowed me to live in a time whenever there are treatment options available.

The really good news is the amount of research and effort being put into this disease. This is because of the sheer numbers of people worldwide who have some form of it, therefore, any kind of new drug or breakthrough treatment will present a huge potential in terms of market. I have had personal contact with some with Type 1 and I have seen how that plays out over time. It is much more serious and often begins at a younger age. My heart goes out to those who have to live with this serious challenge each day.

As for my doctor's visit, I'm actually looking forward to it. I feel comfortable with the treatment plan I am currently on but do think it can be tweaked to bring my numbers more in line with the targets I would rather see. Since it appears I am not one of those in the less than 5% who will be able to lick this thing by diet and exercise alone, I am anticipating dealing with it as a long journey instead of providing a fix or solution. That's really tough for me because I like to see a problem, find a solution, implement that solution and move on. Moving on in terms of this situation means an ongoing effort to control which turns out to be the objective as opposed to resolving it once and for all. New territory and a new challenge but relatively easy compared to so many, therefore, Lord willing I will show up at 8:15 a.m., and go one on one with my doctor. Someone at Church said once he sees my name on the list he might call in sick. I don't think he will because my 15 minutes of fame will be up soon enough and then he can go on about his busy day! You can smile because all of this is done in jest, at least that's what my doctor hopes. ...........More later.

No comments: