Wednesday, January 23, 2008

See You In the Funny Papers

That phrase 'See you in the funny papers' has been around for a long time. It was one of the responses that Sam Wainright, the fellow who went off and became a rich industrialist, used when speaking to poor George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart), in the movie "It's A Wonderful Life". There's quite a lot of confusion about how it originated and exactly what it means. Some identify it with a cartoonist back in the 1930's who used local people in his comic strips, hence, the phrase would make sense. Others think it originated as a term of comic insult to someone who would probably only read the comic section of the newspaper. No one really knows for sure but it has been around and it brings me to my thought for the day concerning finding a source of having a good laugh that brings a smile to your face.

I was a committed reader of the huge local metro newspaper for over twenty years. Once the paper changed hands and the new owners installed people who were intent on becoming a local version of the New York Times, I cancelled my subscription. This was nearly five years ago and I still get the paper. I have called many times and emailed but the local carrier keeps bringing me a paper each day. They usually end up in the trash can because I refuse to read it. But back in the day when I did read it practically cover to cover every day I always enjoyed my favorite comics. Different strokes for different folks I guess but out of the dozens printed each day I was drawn to a few of them.

Most people love 'Peanuts' because it's just downright funny and entertaining. I also liked 'B.C.', not only because it often used a play on word meanings, but also because there often was a deliberate Christian theme to the message. Don't know why but I actually read 'Luann' every day and it's about a teenage girl in all her difficulties with family, school, and life. Not too long ago I was talking to a 'real' cowboy who worked for years on the ranges in Montana. He's about six foot, five inches, two hundred sixty pounds, and he told me that he was a life long committed reader of 'Luann'. Go figure.

I also loved the 'Lockhorns', about a husband and wife going forth and back with each other. And, probably my most favorite was 'The Dinette Set' which is about some older folks and how they live life and deal with a variety of everyday situations. The point here is that we all need to be able to smile and the comics offer a place where we can. Fortunately for me, these are all available online and while I don't get to see every one of them every day, except for 'The Dinette Set', since it is part of my daily routine, I can still enjoy them and they are like a small time out where you can slow down and take the time to laugh at them, and typically at yourself because most good ones have real life as part of their appeal.

So I encourage you to find a source of good clean humor and take the time to pause and enjoy. There's plenty of the bad stuff all around and we don't have to go far to find the gloom and doom that each day brings with it, but there's also some wonderful joys that surround us if we take the time to recognize them. Having a cheerful heart and being able to laugh at many of the things in life that come our way each day will go a long way in influencing others. Until we meet again, I guess I will see you in the funny papers. .......More later.

No comments: