Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cold Case Reopened

Your mind can be a very powerful influence on what you believe and the actions you take. Yesterday, I went through my regular routine to prepare to leave for work without incident. I even walked out to the mailbox in my shirtsleeves and I thought to myself, "Hey it's a little cooler than I thought it might be today." But, I shrugged it off, finished getting ready, and was at my workstation before 5 a.m.

About 8:30 I received an email from my wife in all caps: YOU DIDN'T EVEN TURN THE HEAT ON FOR ME AND IT'S 29 DEGREES IN THE NEXT TOWN! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? To tell the truth I wasn't thinking about it being cold at all because the last report I heard it was only supposed to get down into the 40's, therefore, that's the expectation I had and I guess I responded to what I thought rather than the reality of it being much colder.

Maybe this is an example of mind over matter or the power of suggestion or just plain being out of touch with reality. This situation ended up making for a good laugh from both of us and to be sure while it is only 55 degrees this morning as I sit here at 5:20 a.m. doing this blog, that furnace at home is on overdrive preparing for her to wake up and start her day. I sure hope she remembers to turn it off before she leaves for work but that's another story entirely. On the way in this morning I heard that in Buffalo, New York, yesterday, it was 53 degrees at 3 a.m., and 15 degrees by noon. Maybe she should be thankful she wasn't in Buffalo and be counting her blessings instead of sending emails in all caps!

I do know that with the variety of medications I am taking, (I do need to blame it on something), I am no longer quite as resilient against the cold as I used to be. Remember that running joke about my Granny Mac and her telling me she hoped someday to see me cold like she was all the time? Instead of going out on the driveway on a frigid day in short sleeves and looking up and saying, "Not today, Granny!", I might be soon bundling up like an eskimo and mumbling, "Guess you are finally happy Granny, because I'm really cold". To be sure I haven't reached that point yet but I can begin to see myself on this slippery slope.

It seems more to be my feet that gets colder and sometimes when I get into the bed at night I find myself spending more time stretching over to my wife's side where she has the warming blanket going. She noticed this increased access into her domain and a few days ago she actually repositioned the blanket so that I would have more of it on my side. I was outraged. I told her it was nearly impossible for me to sleep with those hot wires all over my body. She laughed and moved it back to her side and said she guessed she would just have to share her domain with me each night until I was warm enough to move over. As if she really has a clue. Doesn't she know I am dealing with issues and I have this medical condition and I'm taking all these pills? What ever happened to the "Compassionte Conservative"? It's one thing to answer to Granny Mac about this cold natured business but I will not be subject to taunting in my own home! I do hope you find the little things in your life to be a source of laughter because when it's all said and done, "You might as well laugh than cry". God bless and have a great Thursday. ......More later.

No comments: