Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Sad Day

Yesterday afternoon I received word that our nephew, Andy, died suddenly. This is my sister's only boy and was just a couple of months older than our eldest son. We are never prepared to deal with such tragic news. Andy was a very special child whose smile would light up any room and those who knew him and any who met him would have had to work to try and not like him. He was transparent, genuine, and loving in a way that was infectious.

His short 42 year sojourn was not an easy one. Andy had faced many troubles in his life and many of his choices led to additional pain. Yet, we remember his hugs and his laugh. Whenever our boys were younger Andy was an ever present figure with our eldest. They were often mentioned together, Andy and Chris. Before we moved to Texas they played together nearly every day and did they ever play! There were times whenever they came in so dirty you could only see the whites of their eyes.

This is a tough row to hoe as they say back home. My sister has had to deal with so much in her life and my mom also has faced many gut wrenching tragedies. We mourn Andy's passing and our hearts are broken for those near and dear to us. However, we can only imagine the hurt my sister as his mom is suffering along with his grandmother, my mom. We need only to think about our own boys and our own grandchildren to make this a reality to us.

My mom told me last night that God would get us through this, yet, another trial. She should know. This is the truth. He has in the past and He will again. We could spend our time wondering why so many tragedies in one family but there is no answer but the truth that God will carry us through. I would ask those who read my blog to join so many others who are already exercising prayer on behalf of my sister, my mom, Andy's children, and his siblings and all their families during these very difficult days. No, life is not a bed of roses or a tip toe through the tulips but with God's help we will rise up to thank Him for His grace and mercy in our time of need. ....More later.

2 comments:

Debbie Evans said...

Br.Al we are praying for you and your family. I know only God can bring the peace that is needed in a time like this. God Bless you and yours
Debbie Evans

Anonymous said...

We are deeply saddened by your loss. You are remembered in our prayers, as we have found that God is a source of peace in times of sorrow and loss. Lord bless you . Harold and Sherry.