Friday, January 18, 2008

Thanking People Who Have Helped You Along Life's Way

Last week when I attended my nephew's funeral service in the small rural town where I grew up I saw my old shop teacher from my high school days. He's now in his late eighties. Mr. John Hyman Self was a very influential person in my life because he challenged me not only in my studies but in helping me to become ready for life itself. He is always glad to see me and considers me one of his greatest works in progress. I did not say I was, but he thinks I am. A few years ago I tried to identify people who had made a huge positive difference in my life and I prepared special thank you correspondence for each of them. The one I did for him was unique in that it had a special letter of thanks, some pictures of our family, and a brief biographical sketch of all the things I had been able to experience since leaving that small village so many years ago.

Well, let me tell you that card I made for Mr. Self was very special to him. His wife says he treasures that card and reads and re-reads it sometimes several times a week. I know my mom said he recently brought it to their home when they visited because he wanted her to see it. Like they say, it really doesn't take much to make some one's day, especially whenever it is genuine and in his case, very well deserved.

One of the things that hit me whenever I began to consider all the people who had helped me in my life was how that we are not self made. We may like to think that we are and we may go around telling people we are but the truth remains that others influenced us and usually some did in a most significant manner. Mr. Self was one of those who saw much more potential in me than I could see. He told me the other day that whenever I began to really excel it challenged him and he would go home at night and brush up so that he could ready for whatever questions I would throw at him the next day. I do know this, he was an encourager and someone you knew really cared about you and where you were headed.

He worked hard to get me a scholarship and he gave me personal advice that teenage boys need to hear. Other than field trips, scholastic competitions, ball games, or other events like these, I never saw him except at school each day. But he was one of those people who took the time to do some shaping and molding and I am thankful to God that he did. And, I am very happy that he feels so honored because that's exactly what I intended when I recognized his influence in my life. The reason I wrote about this today is to remind us all, first, that we have been helped by others, secondly, time is moving on, and lastly, if we are going to do something to recognize their contributions to our life, better sooner than sorry because we missed the opportunity. Food for thought on a rainy Friday morning. Have a great weekend and may God bless you and yours. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: