Monday, February 1, 2021

Luke 6: 32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. ~ New International Version (NIV)


Good morning and welcome to Monday, February 1, 2021.  These are somewhat depressing times for those of us who feel like the rug was pulled out from under us based on the results from this just past presidential election. Yesterday, on my way to the gathering of our local fellowship, I listened to a message on the radio that addressed this situation directly. It was a very timely message preached by Dr. Ed Young, Senior Pastor at Second Baptist, Houston. He pretty much covered the litany of all the issues that will be hard for believers to live with. His advice is that we stand strong for biblical principles and for the values upon which our country was founded. At the same time, he spent most of his time presenting the truth about how we are to do this. In love. With love. Love for others. Love for those who oppose us. I see daily the response of bitterness being portrayed by many of my friends on social media. Dr. Young said we shouldn't compromise our beliefs but we must follow the directives as given to us in The Scriptures. I read one young mother's account the other day where she was expressing sadness in how many of those identified as Christ-followers had responded to the election. Such anger, bitterness, and, yes, based on their postings, hatred as well. She wondered out loud how that reflected upon the Church Jesus established. She said for her maybe it would be better to just love others the way Jesus loved them and set aside organized Church. I don't agree with her but I understand her concern. Dr. Young reminded me of my responsibilities to be faithful which includes praying for those in authority and in loving others including those I disagree with. I needed to hear that. Amen



I have been pretty much isolated from family over the past four-plus weeks. I am blessed to have my dear wife here with me, but, I had to set aside contact with the rest of our clan. My situation was nothing compared to those who are hospitalized or in nursing facilities. It did, however, give me a feeling of being out of touch. We were already on that track over the past 10 plus months, but once I was diagnosed with the virus we had to kick it up a notch. What this disconnect from the family will do over the long term is yet to be seen but it doesn't take much intelligence to know it is going to be serious and sad. I am thankful for the many phone calls and messages I have received and for so many who offered up prayers on my behalf. All of that helped, but, I think in the aggregate we do have problems that will hang on for many years to come. We need the Lord and we need each other. Amen



I continue to be amazed at how useless I continue to be, and, even though it is a well documented and much-experienced carry over from COVID, it is exasperating. After getting ready and going to worship services, stopping to have a bite of lunch, when I got home about 1:30 p.m. yesterday I literally collapsed in the first chair I came to. Is that not pitiful or what? I know. And, believe me, I am thankful for where I am compared to where I was. I keep thinking I will wake up one morning and be able to get up and go but for now, being able to get up at all will have to do. Have a great rest of the day and be aware of God's presence. He can be counted on. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: