Wednesday, February 24, 2021

“He knows not his own strength who hath not met adversity.” – William Samuel Johnson

Bentley here, think about this: “The average dog is a nicer person than
the average person.”
— Andy Rooney

Hello and welcome to another day in the neighborhood and this one is marked as Wednesday, February 24, 2021. I am on the run already since we are hauling Mr. Bentley up to the groomers early this morning. If anyone would have told me a little over two years ago how much I would be spending each month on 'the' dog, well, I would have not even considered it to be a plausible thought. But, that was then and this is now and we are better off for him being with us. The wife and I went to help some friends at their winter-damaged home and I discovered right away that I have a ways to go in the strength and stamina departments. Using a box cutter to cut and pull up carpet nearly put my lights out. How exasperating! I did pretty well until I didn't do well and then I had to quit and was sent home by the wife. In fact, she said it like this, "I don't want you to fall out here so just go home and take care of the dog." These folks, like so many others, were dealing with the aftermath of busted pipes and the subsequent damage to their home. Oh well, I suppose I can say I tried. It is still exasperating, but, others who have recovered from COVID tell me I will get stronger. In time. I am counting on that.



There is a lot of discouragement lurking here and there during these days. Here are some encouraging words, inspired by Creator God Himself, and, I can't think of a better source. Can you? (Lifted from a website entitled, 'Top 50 Encouraging Bible Verses).

Isaiah 41:10 NIV
10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalm 118:14-16 NIV
14 The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. 15 Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: "The Lord's right hand has done mighty things! 16 The Lord's right hand is lifted high; the Lord's right hand has done mighty things!"

2 Timothy 1:7 NIV
7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

John 16:33 NIV
33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

John 14:27 NIV
27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Colossians 3:15 NIV
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Psalm 46:11 NIV
11 The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Deuteronomy 31:6 NIV
6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Psalm 27:1 NIV
1 The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?

Thessalonians 3:13 NIV
13 May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.

1 Corinthians 16:13 NIV
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.

Proverbs 28:1 NIV
1 The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

2 Chronicles 32:7 NIV
7 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him.

Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Psalm 31:24 NIV
24 Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Philippians 4:13 NIV
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV
13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Psalm 112:7 NIV
7 They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.

1 Chronicles 22:13 NIV
13 Then you will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the Lord gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.

Isaiah 12:2 NIV
2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense ; he has become my salvation."

1 Chronicles 28:20 NIV
20 David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.

Philippians 1:28 NIV
28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved-and that by God.

Psalm 16:8 NIV
8 I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 27:12-14 NIV
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations. 13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

Ephesians 6:10-18 NIV
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Hebrews 10:25 NIV
25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Zephaniah 3:17 NIV
17 The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing."

Romans 15:4 NIV
4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

Joshua 1:9 NIV
9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Romans 15:13 NIV
13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Ezra 10:4 NIV
4 Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it."

Joshua 10:25 NIV
25 Joshua said to them, "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight."

1 John 4:18 NIV
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Philippians 1:27 NIV
27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel

2 Corinthians 5:8 NIV
8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

2 Chronicles 32:8 NIV
8 With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles." And the people gained confidence from what Hezekiah the king of Judah said.

2 Samuel 10:12 NIV
12 Be strong, and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight."

Deuteronomy 31:23 NIV
23 The Lord gave this command to Joshua son of Nun: "Be strong and courageous, for you will bring the Israelites into the land I promised them on oath, and I myself will be with you."

Matthew 10:28 NIV
28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Galatians 6:9 NIV
9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Matthew 17:20 NIV
20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV
58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Hebrews 13:5-6 NIV
5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." 6 So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"

Luke 12:4 NIV
4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.

Isaiah 26:3 NIV
3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.

Joshua 2:11 NIV
11 When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone's courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.

Daniel 10:19 NIV
19 "Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed," he said. "Peace! Be strong now; be strong." When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, "Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength."

1 Chronicles 19:13 NIV
13 Be strong, and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight."

I read them and as always I need to apply them but I do hope they will encourage us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: