Friday, July 31, 2020

“I think I am about 5 for 500 when it comes to successful ideas vs flops.” ~ Jerry Schoemaker, popular blogger

Good morning and welcome. It is Friday, the last day of July, the 31st, 2020, or perhaps I could say it is stardate 3,386 since that's how many of these I've hurled out into the vast reaches of the worldwide information network. Thirteen years later and after nearly 250,000 page views, I open up the place where my thoughts originate and see, first, if anything is there, and secondly, if anything there is worth sharing. I've never touted the page views because even though that's a fairly large number it really isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the postings done by famous folks. I have long guessed how most of those page views came as a result of an accidental landing on my blog when someone was searching for something else. Hey, that sounds a lot like how I get to finishing my blog each day. I typically am on the lookout for something to write about and in the process, I accidentally end up with something to post. From the outset, I have announced myself to be an observer of all the things that pertain to the living out of my life, one day at a time. You know. As I see it as in The View From Here. I've actually been the person in the cartoon sitting at the keyboard. It would go something like this, "Hey, I need to brief executive management on what we intend to accomplish over the next quarter. Maybe you could put together what we are thinking and I'll look at it in the morning." That went on for years. But, I know God gave me an ability to put stuff together and in many ways He allowed me to use it for my development and good. I won't go that far in terms of my blogs each day, but, you at least get a sense of my background in coming up with stuff.

Tomorrow, Saturday, August 1, is the day we will be remembering our dad on his birthday. He had a good long run here on earth, August 1, 1930 - July 1, 2017. Here is a Father's Day tribute I wrote for him 10 years ago: Happy father's day, dad! I can't think of anyone I would rather share a cup of Community Coffee with than my stepdad. Sunday is the day we set aside to honor our dads, and believe me, our family has much to be thankful for in the man God sent to us so many years ago. Our real dad left the scene for his heavenly home all the way back in 1954. And, we honor him also on this special day because he was used by God to give us the life we have. Our stepfather is a man of integrity. You can put a period behind that my friend, or you take it to the bank because it is not a sentiment, it's fact. A career military man, he served in both Korea and Vietnam. A career civil servant he worked to make sure our fighting forces were prepared. Since his retirement, he has served the local community in many different ways including fire chief and as a town council member as far back as I can remember. As a devoted husband to our mom, you will not find a better example. A common pulpit theme today you hear is how that a man can do more for his children than almost anything else in the way he treats their mother. I believe that is true and dad has set a wonderful example in taking care of our mom. Dad walked into a mess when he married into our family but he has never looked back and he has never let any of us down. What do I attribute all of this to? I believe in my heart of hearts, it's a God thing, and I thank him for our wonderful dad.

Mentioning Community Coffee is always in order for me. The other day I needed to do some work in my office upstairs. It had been a few days since I was up there. I got the computer up and going and I noticed a lonely coffee cup sitting on the desk. It still had some Community in it. I smelled of it and it still smelled like Community. It didn't have anything growing on top of it yet. I remembered seeing Paw Paw Mac swigging down the leftover Seaport Coffee that had been left in the pot from the day before. I thought about how the taste of the now aged, cold, thick, super-black Community would be better than what you can buy fresh anywhere I know of, and, I have tried, the good Lord knows I have tried. So, I said to myself, waste not want not, which I know was part of my granddad's matra, and I finished it off. I know. I am way over the top when it comes to me writing about my coffee. A smidgen of it is for fun, but, the overwhelming feeling expressed is on target. I still remember maybe 25 years ago when I made the switch from the big tub on sale to Community. Cost more? You betcha! I had one thought at that time: Life is too short. I'll leave you to ponder this profound revelation as we anticipate our Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Be blessed and may none of us forget to thank God, the ultimate Source of all our blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: