Monday, August 3, 2020

"I poured Red Bull into my CPAP machine ... Got a full night’s sleep in 45 minutes." ~ copied

Good morning and welcome. It's Monday, August 3, 2020, and, it's always good to pull off the CPAP aviator contraption so we can face another day. Based on my all over the page results, one day good, the next it's like I didn't even have it on, I most likely need some remedial training. My doctor asked me the other day if the sleep clinic folks had followed up with me yet. They haven't. I know 'the beard' is no doubt problematic but I'm not inclined to remove it, at least, not for now. One reason I haven't called the experts has to do with the good results I get from time to time. I've tried to think about what I did differently when I get a good result but that usually works only until the next time I try to cinch up and go again. I do know I am not alone. One of the message boards on Facebook dedicated to CPAP users has war stories every day of folks trying to figure it all out. I've been asked how was I able to get used to wearing the thing. When I started, I felt like it would never happen, but, like so many other things in life, it becomes bearable and then it just becomes a part of your nightly routine. There are some on the message board who report almost perfect numbers every single day. (Maybe they didn't need one to begin with.) It reminds me of some of those girls I went through school with. They always turned in everything on time, volunteered for extra work, and were first to answer any and all questions. Now they are old like me and they are reporting excellent results each night from their CPAP machines. 

Icy roads answered the question: Is it cold enough yet?
I've been thinking quite a bit lately about cold weather. I was up early Saturday morning and I found one of those winter scenery programs with music and I put it up on the big screen TV. I always get this way in the heat of summer. Somewhere deep down inside there is a small voice saying I wouldn't last anytime at all in those frozen tundra scenes. That doesn't keep me from dreaming. I also put up one about the special trains that clear snow on the tracks in Switzerland. While I may not be as able to handle the cold as I did when I was the undisputed teen freezeout champion, I still prefer the cooler weather. Or, maybe I prefer the thought of the cooler weather. The trip the wife and I made a few years ago out to Santa Fe, New Mexico during an ice storm did remind me that cold weather can be treacherous. (Photos above.) Just outside of Amarillo we lost control of our vehicle momentarily but our car took over and saved us. We had never had that auto control function to activate but we thanked God for it because it kept us from hitting several other vehicles. How do we know that for sure? Because there were plenty of cars and trucks all around us slamming into each other. That trip did not change my preference for cold weather but it certainly improved my grip on the steering wheel. I didn't straighten my hands out for two weeks after we got back. That's a weak attempt to be funny. 



I have written a lot about cooler weather. I think it is tied to some of my favorite memories. The wood-burning fireplace, (not the getting of the wood), hunting with my grandfather, being able to breathe the crisp and invigorating air, and, the comfort food we ate during that time of year. Our pastor said this past Sunday he had his own view about a particular theological subject. (Perseverance of the saints.) He said he didn't claim his view was 100% because there are so many views, however, he said if someone had a different view they could preach about it when it came their time to stand behind the pulpit. In some ways, I fear that's how it goes with my blogs. I do end up writing about the things that come to my mind. You can write about your thoughts. Now they can use drones to film the wonderful winter landscapes and I can sit and dream about how wonderful I would feel to be in those locations. That is likely not close to reality since many of those may not even be accessible. I typically don't think about those kinds of considerations because if I happen to be there I'm hoping there will be an automatic control function to save me from myself. Maybe you are feeling just a wee bit cooler this morning. I'm working on it myself. Enjoy and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: