Thursday, July 23, 2020

"Worry is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere." The late humorist Erma Bombeck.

Morning all. It is Thursday, July 23, 2020. Hello and welcome. As it relates to seeing what's happening out and about in the news world, I do come up for air periodically. Mostly, I watch the local news and they typically throw in any national stuff that might be perculating. Covid still dominates. But you knew that already. There appears not to be an end in sight and we all are fatigued by this ongoing disrupter of our lives. I'm not sure I've heard a lot about one development that I see in this pandemic. There seems still to be a lack of humility as it relates to our human capacity. I know prayer and God is mentioned in some circles but there does appear to be a need for us all to acknowledge our limitations. All the king's men and all the king's horses can not always put things back together again. The other day I was talking to a fellow riding his bicycle on the road by our house. He was talking about how all these things had him thinking maybe the end is near as revealed in The Scripture. He appeared to be nervous and upset. I reminded him that being a child of God by trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ means we belong to Him, we have a home and it is not in this world and He can be depended on, no matter what. He rode on and I couldn't help but wonder who needed to be reminded of that more, him or me? What say you?

Our Mr. Bentley visits occasionally with other pups in the neighborhood. It can't be for long because he is just too excitable and rambunctious. When they do talk I can't help but wonder what they say to each other. "Yours too? They're mostly all laid up watching TV? Yep. Mine too." The other day the wife and I looked at our pup all flattened out and looking kind of sad and we agreed he must think we are the laziest folks on the planet. The recliners are often fully reclined and there's not a lot of stuff happening. We do throw his ball, his bone, or his stuffed toys when he brings them to us to play fetch, but he is often left to wander around and to finally give up and join the resting brigade. We talk some about getting back to walking at the mall and we know we can wear our masks and do the distancing thing if we do go. We talk about it. The doctor casually mentioned it because he had noted in his record that we were previously mall walkers. He writes that down but doesn't always remember medical details we discussed? Oh well, it was a good reminder that we do need to get out. Maybe when it gets a little cooler. (October?) When the virus threat is over. (Who knows?) I am officially putting the return to mall walking on my around to it list. Oh. That's right. I need to have a list first. How about a mental list?

I write about the changes we have seen as a result of the current virus world order, but, may I remind everyone there are so many others who are dealing with much more serious issues. After three weeks, our distant kin in Columbus, Georgia has finally regained enough strength to have the tube removed and has now begun to be weaned off the sedation. His early facetime visits with his wife and son were encouraging but also a little scary. He didn't really recognize them. Thankfully, he has as of yesterday come around from that and is out of ICU and in a regular patient room now. That three week saga turned their entire world upside down as both the wife and son had also tested positive. Folks who have lost their jobs. Working moms wondering about the upcoming school year. Those who have lost loved ones. Those who are in strict isolation, like elderly care residents. And, the list goes on and on. My point? I can joke about being bored and missing our 'regular' activities but when it is put into perspective, I have much to be thankful for and I have much to pray about on behalf of others. That's my take for today and I do hope God will bless us, one and all. Amen. ........More later.

No comments: