Friday, July 17, 2020

“If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?” —Will Rogers

I survived. My annual physical has been completed. Except for the lab reports. Those can be pesky, but, I should know something early next week. In case you wondered, I do need to lose some weight, but, I knew that going in. Such is life. And, today's update comes through the woods and over the hills via the internet to wherever you happen to be on this Friday, July 17, 2020. If you have tuned in very much at all you know I am prone to be peeved. One on my radar screen today has to do with these personal stories on social media that prove up a particular point. They start out by saying something like this, "I was at Walmart and this fellow walked up to me." The first time I read one of these they seem somewhat plausible. However, since folks master the copy and paste function as an art form, the same story shows up again and again and again. Isn't it interesting that just within my social media circle over 100 people had the exact same experience? If it was the same fellow who walked up to them he was one tired dude when he finished up his day. The point being made may make sense but doing it that way pretty much cancels it out for me. If they feel compelled to pass it own they should share it instead of making it their own. Okay. That's my gripe for today. I have more. But, you knew that already.

Looking back, I chose some excerpted material from an 11 paragraph blog I wrote on this date, 13 years ago: ~ Growing Up With Folks Who May Not Have Always Been Right, But They Were Never Wrong! I grew up in a fiercely independent, Bible-believing Baptist Church. The people there were for the most part wonderful and sweet. Now I’m not saying we didn’t have issues within the Church. Even as a child I could detect something was surely wrong whenever people would sing “Makes Me Love Everybody” with energy and feeling, but still not speak to a fellow member with whom they had a long-standing disagreement. My grandfather was one of the most respected men in our Church. He was a Deacon in the truest sense of the word, that meaning a Servant of the Church. He was not, however, one who wanted to have anything to do with power plays or politics. He was an intensely private man but his beliefs and what he stood for could be recognized by how he lived. His simple approach to life was often at odds with the other Deacons who wanted to exercise authority and make sure the Church knew they were running things. They were not always pleased with my granddad because he would not go along with anything he believed to be underhanded or out of line.~

My grandfather was more interested in taking a mess of homegrown vegetables to a widow lady than showing the preacher who was in charge. I suspect some of that is further explained in the 9 other paragraphs I didn't use. I did see a posting on Facebook from a preacher we know that has given me pause. He reported they had returned from summer camp up in East Texas. They had 347 kids who attended and a total of 27 decisions for Christ. In the midst of this good news, he also reported they had several involved with the camp who tested positive for COVID-19 including his dear wife. He said they were not running in fear but rather they were running in faith. He attributed the infections to Satanic influence. He also said they were expecting more infection confirmations. He and his wife are nearing their 80s. He did not mention anything about precautions or rules that were followed while at the camp. My dilemma is in trying to balance the running by faith with the biblical mandate to submit to the governing authorities outlined in more than one place but clearly delineated in Romans Chapter 13. I'm not sure one would not have expected to have some issues given how kids function in close quarters and I'm not sure I would agree in this particular instance that Satan was the direct operative force here. (Yes. I know. Fallen world, fallen people including disease.) Just some thick tough steak for us all to chew on. I leave us all to ponder these things as we continue our journey, with God's provision. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: