Wednesday, July 15, 2020

“I admit that I live in the past, but only because housing is so much cheaper.” — Matt Wohlfarth

Another day and another update. This one originates live and in-person from my location to yours on this Wednesday, July 15, 2020. Not to belabor the point but by way of emphasis, we did receive word yesterday that another nephew who works in a medical clinic has a co-worker who has been confirmed. The protocol calls for our nephew to stay home for four days in isolation before being tested. We had received some guarded positive news from our nephew over in Georgia earlier in the week. The last posting indicated he had taken some steps back and they are dealing now with additional heart and blood pressure issues. Our eldest is a manager and he was told yesterday that three of his key people have the potential, therefore, they must do what they can from home until they work through the protocols. The debate continues about any and all things coronavirus related, meanwhile, individuals, employees, and families are being turned upside down. I don't know what to believe about the purported facts being shared from the plethora of news and social media sources. I do know the personal testimonies of people we know and love clearly shows the seriousness of this disease. 

These days of concern reminded me of just how carefree we were growing up. God has given each one an instinctive ability to sense danger, but, as we grow up we tend to learn about a lot of dangers. So much so, it can impact our view of life and how we operate in the world. A pastor who grew up near the place I did and is a couple of years older than me wrote the other day about how they literally went everywhere barefooted. The exception being Church. That means they went into stores and attended school barefooted. I did that same thing, maybe not to his extent since he actually lived way out in the country or it was to us. I have written before about us even going to the creek barefooted. In the summertime, we had to hot foot our way across US Hwy 171 to get to Brushy Creek. We had several thickets to traverse. When we got to the creek we had to deal with all the sticks, stumps, knots, and other foot traffic obstacles. We would sometimes wade in the water without even a thought. Sure, we would see a snake now and then but the rule was to leave them alone if they left you alone. My point? We didn't give any of it a second thought. Did we get cuts, scratches, and a few punctures along the way? You betcha. But mom had methylate, iodine, and mercurochrome. It may have taken someone to sit on me while she poured it on, but, that's how we rolled, back in the day. 

I am aware that trips down nostalgia lane can be fraught with revisionist thinking. I hear my boys giving their version of growing up as contrasted to the 'easy' life of their kids. It's the 'walk a mile in a foot of snow to school' template that impacts us all. However, I believe most of what I recalled in my throwback recollection to be very much accurate. There may be some stylistic embellishment but the fact that we didn't fear stuff out of not knowing we should is exactly my point. Could that be dangerous? Of course, it could. And, at times it was. We had a kid playing with a rope who accidentally hanged himself. We had a couple of kids playing in a shallow cave and it caved in and they died as a result. We had a few who drowned. I found out the hard way why no one should ever dive into a swimming hole they have never been to. I busted the top of my head wide open when I hit an underwater stump. It made a good-sized hole towards the back of my head. What could be done? They carried me to a nearby neighbor's house. He held me down and poured iodine into the wound. When I finally got to the doctor he said it was actually fried and there was no way any germs could have survived. Then he sewed me up. I know what some of you are thinking. Being hit that hard on top of my head may explain a lot. It might, but, it doesn't keep me from remembering that's how we rolled, back in the day. May God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: