Wednesday, July 29, 2020

"Proverbs 25:14 ~ A person who promises a gift but doesn’t give it is like clouds and wind that bring no rain."

Okay. Another day and another dollar. This another day happens to be Wednesday, July 29, 2020. That saying typically is used to say everything continues pretty much in an ordinary way, the same routine. It was also the theme of a song by country singer Wynn Stewart featured as a single in 1962. I hasten to add that while everything pretty much is normal, we do know the times we are living in are pretty extraordinary. I won't go further than that because I'm trying to not speak much about anything associated with the pandemic during this week's visits. I've written before about how I, as a young teen, became sweet on a lovely Pentecostal girl. I even attended a Saturday evening service so I could sit beside her. One of the things that happened during that service was a large number of folks did some holy dancing. I believe that is what they called it. One of those who participated was an older lady that I knew because I occasionally would mow her grass. I was surprised to see her moving about with her arms flapping a little and the fat on them going ninety to nothing. Here's what a young teenager thought: You can dance all you want, you can call it a Spirit-filled holy dance, but when I mow your grass and you agree to pay me a certain amount I don't respect how you always find something frivolous you don't like and use that as justification to give yourself a big discount. In her version of another day, another dollar, as it related to me it became another day, another 50 cents. 

I don't think I am still hanging onto a grudge against this lady, but, it is interesting how we all do remember the negative that occurs in our lives. Those get recorded in a place that's like the Fort Knox of our heart. It's the truth. I still remember being embarrassed in the third grade. My mom dressed me in short pants and the legs flared a little and one could see my underwear. I was self-conscious about it and one day the teacher commented to the class, "It's okay Junior, everyone wears them." The rest of the kids laughed and I nearly exploded. We come from a long line of red faces and my guess is mine on that day was purple potted meat. I could go on. I could. I know some of you might enjoy hearing some other notable mishaps that crushed my spirit. My point? When we carry them as the focal point of our living we end up self-actualizing our status as a victim. I'm not talking about those who have suffered all kinds of horrible abuse. That's a different matter entirely. I'm talking about allowing stuff to keep us from our best life now. One day I was thinking back on something some other guys did to me as a prank. I can remember it vividly. Here's the reality. Three out of four have already moved on to their eternal reward. The real question becomes, have we moved on? I love looking back, as most of you know, and I even enjoy joking about some of the slights and embarrassments that define my journey. I know what it means to carry a grudge. It is a load that's too heavy. For me, for you, for anyone. Now I will go and try to see if I have any idea at all what self-actualization means. I have no idea where that even came from.

Ten years ago we bought a Cadillac CTS. It was used but in excellent condition. We traded in an old Cadillac we had purchased from mom and dad. I had not planned on buying the car on that particular day so I did not have the old Cadillac title with me. When I got home I found it and called the fellow at the dealership to arrange to drop it off. He told me not to worry about it because they were going to send it to auction and it would likely have a salvage title. That was how it all went down in October of 2010. Last year the old Cadillac surfaced and was using the toll road system frequently. It was still in my name so I began to be bombarded with toll bills. I did what I could to convince the people at the toll authority that we hadn't had the car in ten years. That did not keep them from sending me new bills. The other day I received a bill from a collection company for nearly $10,000. It seems the driver of the old Cadillac ran into someone last December and left the scene. The $10,000 did get my attention. I talked with the dealer and they were able to get me copies of the original contract proving I traded it in and they also furnished me a copy of the bill of sale where they had disposed of the old Cadillac. I have emailed this information to the collection company. I said all of this to tell everyone to be aware that things like this happen, and I understand they happen often. My eldest told me there is a form that can be filed if the title is not officially transferred and that form shows the car has been either sold or passed on to another entity. I do hope this is the last I hear about the old Caddy, but, we shall see. We shall see. Anything to keep me stirred up because it's always something! May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: