Wednesday, April 1, 2020

We show our love for God when we do for others. (...For God so loved He gave....)

Today is Wednesday, April 1, 2020. April Fool's Day. Welcome one and all. Well, I figured out how to make that work. I'm talking about the big box store that opens from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. on Tuesdays for those 60 and older. I did make it work yesterday. How? I was first in line. Yep. You get to be first in line if you are there at 5 a.m. And, God was good. They had everything we were looking for including paper towels and toilet paper. That was a blessing. And, I would be remiss not to thank God that we were able to purchase what we needed. Don't take that for granted. Many are in need. Our pastor mentioned in his sermon that we who are blessed to have resources need to consider the plight of others. Our local fellowship is in the process of raising funds to help supplement the local food bank in our area. The requests for additional food during this crisis is through the roof. The number of those families in need of help has increased dramatically. The wife and I determined to help as best we could. In discussing this with some other folks they indicated many will need to keep their reserves since they don't know what the future may hold. I felt that tug myself but at the same time, I was reminded of The Source of it all. Maybe He has blessed us with a little extra so that we might be a blessing to others. Amen.

Okay. Since we are in this exile situation, I thought I would share a few April Fool's Day pranks that some consider to be real funny. I'm not into these kinds of shenanigans but others seem inclined to enjoy them. ~ Fill up an empty box of everyone's favorite donuts with veggies and stand back to see how it is received. ~ Sign your friends up for annoying email promotions and send them a card telling them you hope they enjoy them. ~ (I do not want any friends that would do that to me.) ~ Tape the computer mouse down and wait for it to be used by an unsuspecting soul. ~ Figure out strategic places for some rubber snakes for your friends, your spouse, or even your kids to find. ~ Put some brown food coloring in the toilet bowl and then call everyone in to see if anyone knows what happened. ~ Tape fake roaches inside a lampshade. ~  Stuff tissue into the toes of your target's shoes. ~ Slap a note on someone's back. ~ Replace the toilet paper with a roll of packing tape. ~ Get up early and turn stuff upside down. ~ Enough already. Those are samples from an internet list of 60 pranks. I'm not sure who might enjoy doing some of these but I would want to give fair warning that I'm not a good go along with a prank sort of guy. My wife has said over the years she thinks I was born serious. Too much so. I will again mention the prank some of the co-workers of my grandad tried to pull on him. They put some baby birds in his lunch bucket. They may have meant it for him but it was Granny who opened it up. They fluttered up into her face and she nearly passed out. I think those who did it were made aware that my grandfather was willing to take them on, one at a time or as a group to demonstrate his righteous indignation. I would assume it was very quiet at the workplace for a number of days after that.

I want to mention the old people at the store thing again. The workers there at that time of day have been remarkably kind, courteous, and attentive to the needs of this grouping. Given what we have become accustomed to at the big box store, this is not what we have come to expect. Before they opened the doors a young Hispanic supervisor came out and told us he thought we would all be pleased with the variety of stock they had put out for us. I did hear one of their older workers who was in line to buy stuff for herself talking to another lady about the tremendous change at that particular store because of the lady who became manager last October. In my years of management and working, I have observed how the impact of one effective leader can bring transformation to an entire program. I don't know that lady but if the noticeably improved morale, the friendly attitude, and the good service provided reflects upon her leadership, then I say what a welcome change! I could be cynical and say maybe they are just doing it for my special demographic. I want to believe it is a storewide emphasis that might just change people's jaded opinions about this particular company. I would like to believe. I do know it can happen and one person at the top can help make it happen. I've seen it too many times. Take care. Remember to remember. We will get through this with God's help. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: